Dammit: Post your bike

As far as the NIOSH Hierarchy of Controls goes, we should elevate the children so they are not in the same space as the cars.

12 Likes

seems like physically removing the children would be safer

3 Likes

Nuclear holocaust was not the solution they were looking for

1 Like

great system we have here.

3 Likes

School pick up is a big stupid line of cars and I just park at the park a block away and walk over. The fact that there’s even a drop off pick up zone at the school makes me so mad.

7 Likes

Not a single sidewalk in that picture smh

3 Likes

I will never get used to thinking about all of you dropping off and picking up your kids from school.

4 Likes

do y’all’s school systems not use buses?

2 Likes

I don’t get how the fines don’t escalate. Like 28 in a 25 one time sure, but if you make a habit of it, I don’t mind your not having any car money anymore. Or a license.

2 Likes

Because in this country, driving is a RIGHT and healthcare is a PRIVILEGE, commie

13 Likes

I think iv said this before but you have to live a decent ways away to get bussed. Farther than most kids are used to walking and more than parents may be willing to allow.

I walked to school my whole childhood and survived though.

1 Like

sounds like there’s an infrastructure level problem if buses aren’t serving kids in that intermediate zone where parents are dropping them off

2 Likes

FTFY

I see the worst of humanity during dropoff.

5 Likes

my favorite is a parent who parks against traffic blocking a fire hydrant every morning. Then does a big performative goodbye to her kid, who looks bored and annoyed.

3 Likes

Then it becomes a resource question and also like what defines intermediate… like 3/4 mile is too far b/c it’s up a big hill or by some sketchy apartments?

2 Likes

Yeah I kind of remember the bus being terrifying…fights, sexual assaults, drugs…this one kid lit a girls hair on fire once. Walking or riding bikes to school was they way. We had a trail through the woods with some jumps and shit it was tight.

7 Likes

sure, but if the alternative is this

you’d think we could devote some resources to increasing community safety, thereby increasing the radius and number of kids who can safely walk to school, as well as the resources that go to improving bus service so it doesn’t take an hour like it did when I was a kid.

the time penalty is a thing— we know that most kids aren’t morning people yet school starts before it ideally should. add an hour long bus ride and your child is getting up way too early vs driving them for 20 mins

1 Like

For sure. I just don’t think busses are the solution either. I would love to see neighborhood routes to school that are marked as school zones, have extra protection for kiddos, and could even have adults present to support younger kids.

2 Likes

my parents drove me to school for the most part during grade school. I was outside of the catchment for my school so I would have had to walk farther from my house to the bus then from my house to the school. There was a public transit bus a few blocks from my house that got me there, but that can be pretty iffy until you’re old enough to navigate public transit in a major city.

2 Likes

FFS

My parents asked me why i don’t want to move back to the states. I’ll show them this picture next time.

I will have nightmares about this

14 Likes