Dammit: Post your bike

9/8” or 8/8”? if 9/8” theres generally one common size and that’s 30mm. older stuff has a few options, notably 26.4 and 27.0.

there’s also what appears to be plenty of paint on it. the correct answer is a crown race cutter. but i would hit it with some sand paper/wire wheel and try again. if still no fit, some combo of file and using a dremel to turn it into a split crown race

2 Likes

Looks like 26.4 and 26.5 lip. I’ll try filing it down

2 Likes

instead of leaving room for jesus, they took away space for satan. get the paint off and it’ll probably be fine. i still split the crown race anyway because it has no functional impact and makes for tool free install and removal

3 Likes

You just cut it with a dremel or something?

2 Likes

yeah, dremel with a cutoff wheel

knock down any burrs after. works great for most any cartridge lowers

5 Likes

You need to pound it on, it’s an interference fit. Pound like this

1 Like

was able to snip the crown race and I’m all set now…thanks peeps!

4 Likes

feels so barbaric when you could just give it a bris and not worry about two more tools

I dunno man, cutting someone’s genetals without their consent is one of the more barbaric things practiced in modern society atmo. I’m frankly pretty salty that it was done to me and my parents didn’t even have the excuse of being adherents to some ancient superstition!
When my boy was born, a doctor came into the room just like assuming that we wanted to mutilate our newborn baby and was weirdly insistent about it. I told that doc, in no uncertain terms, to fuck off.

My own hang-ups about what was done to my dick 40 years ago aside, splitting the race seems like the way to go. Mainly for ease of removal.

9 Likes

that was a journey

my main issue now is that I now feel how smooth this headset turns and now I have to upgrade my own Hardrock to threadless smh

10 Likes

I finished my terrible DIY hacksaw (aluminum) steerer cut with a dremel yesterday. I endorse the dremel.

1 Like

That’s a damn good hack. And kind of obvious in hindsight. Pretty sure I need to do it on my Geoffrey Butler as the 1 inch headset I bought for it a couple of years ago was too small by some piddling amount.

2 Likes

idgaf that someone cut my dick but i decided if we had a boy i wouldn’t have his dick sliced. as a self loathing jew i do think that i get to make that joke tho. lchaim

3 Likes

@earwig is now the owner of the chris king crown race i mutilated. i don’t know if he knows what i did to his boy

L’Chaim!

My Jeff Jones replacement bike is finally ready

15 Likes

Just scrolled up…of course the fork mohel beat me to that joke!

Saw this on instagram and was like ‘wait a minute…’

if you rub it the right way it should work with a tapered headtube

Got his bike buttoned back up. A have new crankset and bb I’ll upgrade for him next

16 Likes