Dawes SST => Beater?

I was checking out BD and saw this for only 330.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst.htm

I am looking for a beater bike. For anyone that has been here, almost 8 bikes are stolen a day from campus, and I don’t feel like having something stupidly expensive stolen. That being said, I want something that will not crap out in 3 days.

What is the difference between this and the Kilo TT? I don’t know much about the tubing, so any input would be nice. Anyone have experience with both?

its crap.

looks fine. same as kilo w/diff bars i’d say…

its crap.
i know a girl that has one.

PS they come with only a freewheel. so if you want fixed you’ll have to buy a cog/lockring

I am not looking for beautiful here, just something that will work. I guess since it is only SS, I will probably go back to looking at the Kilo.

ive got a kilo as my beater bike, it gets the job done.
i just sold the wheels without even using them because i didnt want to strip them out. i sold em for 125 bucks about 2 hours after i put them on craigslist.

its a good bike. i say gopher it.

The Dawes SST is the same bike as the SE Lager. Which is, in all honesty, a perfectly fine bike. It’s not light, it’s not built with the greatest components, or the fanciest tubing, but for a daily beater/lockup bike, you certainly can’t go wrong with it. At that price range, really it comes down to which bike is better looking. A good friend of mine bought the SST over the Kilo TT because it came stock with bullhorns, which is what he really wanted. And that’s really what it boils down to with the BD bikes.

If you want to ride fixed, just buy a good cog and lockring (DA, maybe surly, but not EAI) and install it properly, and the hubs won’t die. The cheaper materials used is what makes them strip (and less precision in the threading), but when paired with a quality cog/lockring combo, you’ll be good to go.

Are you in Austin?

[quote=“GRHebard”]ive got a kilo as my beater bike, it gets the job done.
i just sold the wheels without even using them because i didnt want to strip them out. i sold em for 125 bucks about 2 hours after i put them on craigslist.

its a good bike. i say gopher it.[/quote]

i don’t see how you can talk shit about the dawes, yet praise the kilo. as far as i’m concerned they are the same quality - good enough for a beater.

[quote=“jim”]The Dawes SST is the same bike as the SE Lager. Which is, in all honesty, a perfectly fine bike. It’s not light, it’s not built with the greatest components, or the fanciest tubing, but for a daily beater/lockup bike, you certainly can’t go wrong with it. At that price range, really it comes down to which bike is better looking. A good friend of mine bought the SST over the Kilo TT because it came stock with bullhorns, which is what he really wanted. And that’s really what it boils down to with the BD bikes.

If you want to ride fixed, just buy a good cog and lockring (DA, maybe surly, but not EAI) and install it properly, and the hubs won’t die. The cheaper materials used is what makes them strip (and less precision in the threading), but when paired with a quality cog/lockring combo, you’ll be good to go.

Are you in Austin?[/quote]

It sounds like it will be fine. I will probably end up playing with the components a little bit, but I don’t want anything too flashy for the theft problem. I could either use the bull horns or go chop the other ones… I don’t really care. I guess it will depend on how much the cog and lockring run me.

Oh, and ya I am in Austin. However I am not active in the fixed scene.

From what most people say, You wil die within minutes of riding one and if you dont, someone with a cooler frame will kill you, and if you can avoid that, the wheels will give you AIDS.

In my opinion, it’s a good start. Very servicable bike. Then again, I have a Lager (same bike different brand) with several component upgrades but stock wheels (Alex r500) and crankset (FSA) with over 3,000 miles on it. I am planning to give it to a friend who wants to commute.

user

[quote=“LonghornTarck”][quote=“jim”]The Dawes SST is the same bike as the SE Lager. Which is, in all honesty, a perfectly fine bike. It’s not light, it’s not built with the greatest components, or the fanciest tubing, but for a daily beater/lockup bike, you certainly can’t go wrong with it. At that price range, really it comes down to which bike is better looking. A good friend of mine bought the SST over the Kilo TT because it came stock with bullhorns, which is what he really wanted. And that’s really what it boils down to with the BD bikes.

Are you in Austin?[/quote]

It sounds like it will be fine. I will probably end up playing with the components a little bit, but I don’t want anything too flashy for the theft problem. I could either use the bull horns or go chop the other ones… I don’t really care. I guess it will depend on how much the cog and lockring run me.

Oh, and ya I am in Austin. However I am not active in the fixed scene.[/quote]

I’d say we could hook up and go for a ride, but since I have a broken leg, I am doing no riding. What are you riding now?

I’d say go for it on the bike…I’m interested in that as well

[quote=“onelescar”]
I’d say we could hook up and go for a ride, but since I have a broken leg, I am doing no riding. What are you riding now?

I’d say go for it on the bike…I’m interested in that as well[/quote]

I only have my race bike now. It’s an older aluminum litespeed capella I got off Craigslist for dirt cheap. I have replaced everything on it though at this point. I am looking to get a cheaper/beater FG to go beat around town. What about you?

my commuter bike is a steamroller, but I’m not riding now. I have at least 6 months before I’m back on the bike

i’ve got a kilo in the mail. we can be bd bike buddies.

[quote=“LonghornTarck”]

Haha, neither am I.

One of my neighbors had a brand new green Kilo TT locked up to the back of his/her car the other night. Never knew there were any other cyclists in my building.

Are you guys going to the midnight ride next Thursday?

that really sucks, I hope your recover is fine. what happened?

Sweet. I’ll let you know when I come around to getting it. I am poooooor (beer is expensive…). Yay college.

[quote=“jim”][quote=“LonghornTarck”]

Haha, neither am I.

One of my neighbors had a brand new green Kilo TT locked up to the back of his/her car the other night. Never knew there were any other cyclists in my building.

Are you guys going to the midnight ride next Thursday?[/quote]

That is really funny… where do you live? Downtown?

I don’t know anything about a race… what’s going on?

nah, i live off south lamar, near oltorf. sort of downtown (5 minute ride) but not really. it’s not a race either, it’s just a group ride every full moon. anywhere from 40-200 people.

les got hit by a car (like two days after last months ride) on the way home from work. he looks super gnarly.

ah yes, missed the midnight ride last month cause i was beat after work, but i’ll be there this month. right now i’m on an enormous 12-speed schwinn le tour.

jim, we’re practically neighbors. i’m off lamar and manchaca. lamar is a bitch to ride south of barton springs on, especially when it’s hot. maybe i’m just a pussy.

No, you’re not a pussy. I hate that stretch. Hit me up dude!

[quote=“jim”]nah, i live off south lamar, near oltorf. sort of downtown (5 minute ride) but not really. it’s not a race either, it’s just a group ride every full moon. anywhere from 40-200 people.

les got hit by a car (like two days after last months ride) on the way home from work. he looks super gnarly.[/quote]

Sweet, I am on Guadalupe and 29th. It’s way expensive, but it’s all college loans, so I guess it’s meh. I think I will do the ride… where does it meet up? I have been way too busy with school to even think of riding these last couple days.

[quote=“clout”]ah yes, missed the midnight ride last month cause i was beat after work, but i’ll be there this month. right now i’m on an enormous 12-speed schwinn le tour.

jim, we’re practically neighbors. i’m off lamar and manchaca. lamar is a bitch to ride south of barton springs on, especially when it’s hot. maybe i’m just a pussy.[/quote]

Lamar sucks to ride on anyway. I have seen way to many idiot drivers/riders to convince me not to touch that road.