Dear Kogswell

yeah i just came ot post that link that i just found independently

I love my kogswell, favorite bike
But its just a P, no P/R

Wishin I’d bought a Kogswell years ago when I was buying my first real geared bike after my sweet fixie.

Didn’t “get” the whole weird low trail 650B thing and assumed they were niche ideas that nobody would ever do and probably for some good reason.

Bicycle trend visionary I was not.

[quote=spaghetti]maybe I’m not too good at internets
but does anyone have a P/R geo sheet?[/quote]

Use archive.org on their defunct website, there were extremely detailed PDF elevation drawings. Some of those have been uploaded to the Yahoo KOG group as well.

[quote=spaghetti]Also, in the end, what was the final assessment of the Kogswell project?

I’m really interested in getting into 650b rando bike. Very much sold on low trail from my Traitor but a more “comfortable” bike would go a long way. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be too hard to track down a P/R on the cheap…[/quote]

The original Kustard ones were built just as heavy as a Surly or Traitor

The black ones had lighter size-specific tubing and rode well when they were aligned straight, I put 10k+ miles on my G2 in a couple years

The G3 has better rear dropouts and the seattube pump peg is higher to actually fit pumps

The 64cm model got mangled through several games of telephone

I’ve put a few miles onto my son’s second gen P/R (with CdlVs or, gag, Hetres) and haven’t found it any more comfortable than my Soma (with Nomads, Clement Strada, or Vittoria Paves), Trek 1000 (with Hutchinson Confréries), or GT (CdlVs or Pari-Motos.)

650b gives me the chance to play around with fat tires without feeling like I’m climbing into a monster truck when I get onto the bicycle (my first project bike is probably too large for me in the first place, but it felt effing huge when it had Nomad 45s on it) and they look better with reasonable-width tires on smaller frames, but that tire size doesn’t give me anything that careful tire selection doesn’t already bring to the table.

I’ve been half-heartedly looking for an old kogswell with no luck. Will probably end up buying one of the new low-trail frames.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/4543937864.html

The dual dynamo headlights always make smile.

Especially cuz I expect they’re still worse than your average modern single dynolight.

yup, also, any more than 2 and you are really getting into clown car territory