Did you just ShartQ?

I shortened a sram hose recently and basically didn’t have to bleed it after doing so. Air in the system lol.

Is DT350 still the go to for a reliable higher engagement rear mtb hub?

1 Like

Yes, and the MTB spec ones now come stock with the mid-level ratchets.

2 Likes

Sheldon says that a 10 speed cassette is about 2mm wider than an 8 speed. On the same freehub and same spacers that moves the 11t that much closer to the DS dropout. Is the chain fouling on the seatstay when it tries to climb up on to the 13t?

1 Like

No but good thinking. I checked that already and have previously run this same 10s set up on these wheels and everything. I got a new XT chain in the mail just to see if that works, and maybe the KMC chain is just not sitting right.

1 Like

I’ve run in to that so many times on 120mm and 126mm spaced bikes trying to put more modern drivetrains on.

1 Like

Thinking about taking the parts from my chrome Schwinn and putting them on my 76 Motobecane, but with flat/swept bars and a basket instead of drops and a rando bag.

I’ve got zero experience with flat bar road bikes and/or baskets so I’ve got some dumb questions:

Handlebars I’m looking at are VO Postino. Has anyone who rides 42cm drop bars used these before? Marking out the width on my desk it seems like they wouldn’t feel too cramped, but my only non-drop experience is with the quite narrow Porteur and the 78cm risers on my MTB.

I want to use this bike to ride the <1 mile to work with a coffee thermos and a lunchbox, make small runs to the grocery store, and ride up to a college campus with a tallboy or two and sit by the lake. Seems like a Wald 137 would be a good choice, but what’s the general opinion on basket bags vs just a cargo net?

I had Postinos on my Crosscheck in singlespeed mode…they’re a bit tight on space for both brake levers and shifters with standard length grips. Super comfy bar but I’ve gone to wider setups since (also as a 46cm drops user).

Also, if you’re going with a flatbar, I’d just go with a 139 for more space. And if you find a floppy bag that can be folded flat on the bottom of the basket, both the bag and a net are possible for better flexibility.

1 Like

I’ve ridden VO Milan, which are the same width as the Postino, on a bike that used to have 46cm drops and it was fine. It also had a Lucas front rack with a 137 basket.

Note the grip length on the Postino. It’s only 130mm and that might be a little short depending on what you’re wanting to do. The Milan is 170mm, but a different sweep angle, in case that jives with your preferences.

Edit to add: that bike also had a 139 on it for a bit and it was easy to overload and I didn’t care for the handling atmo.

DitherQ: I want to make my own sealant. Can I skip glitter? Can I use something biodegradeable instead?

corn grits

Do u like stuff that might mildew

1 Like

Doesn’t Panaracer use nut shells?

Whatever media that will help the latex stick in the puncture should work. You just don’t want to be making sour mash in your tires.

Are bloody butcher grits better than standard Quaker?

Walnut hulls are what other industries use for filler

or do you…

2 Likes

buckwheat hulls might work also and be more uniform, or perlite

what about fine silica?

I’ve used corn grits and they did not do anything nasty.

Diatoms

1 Like

I’m pretty in with the heirloom corn growing and milling industry locally - I’ll try that

2 Likes