Differences in gearing

I did a search, but didn’t find what I was looking for…

I’m currently running 46x17 and it is starting to feel a bit low. I can get started easily and the hills I typically run into around here are easily climbed. My speed on long flat stretches is limited by my gearing more than my power.

How big of a jump would going to a 15t or 16t cog be? I know what the numbers are, but what is it like subjectively? If I find the 17t cog “easy” would a 15t cog be orders of magnitude harder or just a little harder?

Chris

It will make a pretty big difference going down to 15. About 80 gi vs. about 71 with your current set up. The last big jump I made was a while back going from about 71 to about 77. It took me a good month or so to feel as strong on the hills at 77 as I had at 71.

It is my understanding that every tooth of a cog equates to 3 teeth on the chainring.

So going from 46x17 to 46x15 could also be like going to 52x17.

Ok, good info guys. I think 16t would be a more prudent choice.

Chris

80 isn’t too much to handle. I’d say go for the 15, mayhaps.

are you brakeless? cog size can mean a lot if you skid to stop what with skid patches and all.
a one or two tooth jump isn’t too bad, you’ll get used to it and get stronger.

I run a front brake.

Hmm. I’m kind of conflicted. 16 would be safe, but 15 would probably benefit me long term. Worst case, I go back to 17…

Chris

I run punk rock 15t cog on a flip flop, with a 17t on the fixed side. (I have two brakes, so spare me the lecture) It’s fun to flip it at the top of a hill and bomb down. But I definitely notice that the two tooth difference is a lot harder.

If you’ve got a lock ring tool, there’s not much committment to go between cogs, and it could be nice to have some options around.

By “punk rock 15t…”, do you mean run a suicide type set up?

That might be a way to go as well. I don’t do skip stops, I only use the rear wheel for minor speed changes or stopping from very slow speeds. I use the front brake for major velocity corrections. I would only use the 15t in “controlled” environments (local bike paths for example) and switch to the FG/17t side for riding on the street. Once I got strong enough to use the 15t all around, I could switch it to the fixed side and run nothing on the FW side again. Maybe not ideal, but it would give me a bailout if the 15 was too much on a long ride.

Chris

[quote=“NitroPye”]It is my understanding that every tooth of a cog equates to 3 teeth on the chainring.

So going from 46x17 to 46x15 could also be like going to 52x17.[/quote]

For the record, this is only a valid (rough) guideline when the gear ratio is somewhere near 3:1 (like 48:16).

for crying out loud, look up the skid patch / gear ration chart on the internet…

??

I don’t care about skid patches.

I know the gear inches for the cogs in question.

I want to know the relative pedaling difference, what it “feels” like.

Chris

A one tooth difference will feel fairly substantial. Two teeth difference is a pretty big change. When it’s your only gear you really notice these things. I’d lose one first, then try two.

??

I don’t care about skid patches.

I know the gear inches for the cogs in question.

I want to know the relative pedaling difference, what it “feels” like.

Chris[/quote]

there’s this new thing called gear ratios…

so if you from a 2.9 gear ratio to a 3.0 ratio it will be 3% harder to pedal.

[size=200]POWER IN MATH![/size]

I can crunch the numbers all day long. I asked for people’s subjective opinion of such a change because a subjective evaluation casts the numbers in a different light.

Mander and everyone else gave the sort of answer I was looking for (and thanks for the insights). Good job being a fucktard though.

Chris

but when you introduce subjectivity there is really no baseline for measurement therefore whatever anyone writes is completely invalid. just saying…

[size=200]POWER IN MATH![/size]

buy both, try both

its the only way youll know

I just went from 49/17 to 53/18 and I’m having a hard time locking it up at low speed. It’s probably mostly just the grippy new tire though.

:colbert:

[quote=“tepr”]buy both, try both

its the only way youll know[/quote]

Probably not a bad suggestion. Better yet, a guy I know offered to loan me a cog back when I was building my bike. I should take him up on it.

Chris