does you bike plane?

yeah they strong planers.

Chain is too loose.

Mine does when I’m drunk. I always feel faster when I’m intoxicated.

Warning: drunk typed post follows

[quote=lofarkas][quote=trackatino]It’s the same thing as “being in the zone”, just different words to describe the feeling. Not really something that’s confined to cycling or boating at all, really - all types of athletes describe the same thing. You can go on Fixed Gear Fever and read threads about the same deal from the big shot racer types, and I’m sure if you talked to Lebron or Kobe they’d mention the same thing about a high-stakes game in basketball.

Yes, it overlaps into Buddhism, especially the zen path. It’s not really something that is exclusive to sports or athletics but all types of activities. If you haven’t experienced it in anything, then you haven’t lived.

I don’t really buy the idea that “planing” is experienced with frame flex though. It’s just a phenomena of the mind-body “dualism” being broken down in my opinion.[/quote]

What he said.
I’ve experienced this for brief moments in sport… so good.[/quote]

+1
I’m sorry to say the best bike I’ve had so far is also one of the worst, the 1981 Peugeot UO-9 that I salvaged out of one of my neighbor’s trash pretty much defines stovepipe at 12.5kg, also had rather crappy components…

But it’s so easy to get in the zone with it, once warmed up I have to hold back to not end up going where I want real fast and all wet. Otherwise I can set off for a couple hours and not fall out so long as I don’t bonk. I love it, and no other bike I own does it so eagerly, even tho of the ~10 bikes I currently own every one of them should in theory be better then the Peugeot.

I don’t get it, especially considering it’s a touring bike and slightly too large for me. But whatever, I cherish that bike, don’t use it in the rain and didn’t mind dumping cash in it. It’s definitely the bike that would hurt the most if it got stolen.

Also my first fixed gear bike was a conversion, it was a winter beater that was allready singlespeed, but at some point the freewheel failed and it was my only means of getting around since I didn’t wanna trash my nicer bikes, so I put fucktons of zipties between the spokes and granny gear to make it last until the end of winter. Somehow, it became instantly easier to get in the zone for it. Overplayed as it may be, I think there’s something to the whole fixed gear zen thing.

I’ve also had a similar feeling playing Rainbow Six Raven Shield. I’ve spent quite a long time on that game. It’s kinda hard to explain, but when I was in the zone the outside world stopped existing (wouldn’t have noticed a fire next to me), the game became real, so much that getting hit by a bullet hurt IRL. I was also quite seriously good at it, but then it wasn’t a game anymore. I think if I were korean I coulda made money playing it. That would have been cool imo.

Otherwise I tend to get in the zone around closing time, then I get a lot of work done. Don’t work well in the AM. Some days the shop closes at 21 o clock and then I’m like a fucking machine and the boss has to come tell me to stop. One time I was so into it he joined in and we fixed up bikes till a bit past midnight, but then I had to stop cause he was so tired he was doing mistakes, and he’s really not a noob. That sucked cause I think I mighta pulled an all nighter otherwise. But anyways Raven Shield fucking rocks, get that game.

I was out for a ride one day with gusts in random directions and caught a 20+ mph tailwind and didn’t really notice. Cruising along at 25mph on the big ring, I thought that I’d suddenly become a monster. 'course later, I was hating life on the way back home.

I pedaled straight into some heavy headwind (small frame + bullhorns = only decent aero) for 25km, even then if I turned my hands just right I could find the zone and really punch it. Ate lunch, shed my neckerchief and thermal, and headed back in the other direction. If this bike planing shit exists I was doing it. I’ve got a 2,8 ratio and I was going 45(28mph) for most of the way back according to a bro in a rice burner. I looked it up and that’s a cadence of 125. Does that seem high for a noobie with lots of tailwind?

nah bold u just built

not unbelievably high, but it is quick, and ridiculous spinzzz. are you sure on the 125 thing? that’s not sustainable for too long.

I was out for a ride one day with gusts in random directions and caught a 20+ mph tailwind and didn’t really notice. Cruising along at 25mph on the big ring, I thought that I’d suddenly become a monster. 'course later, I was hating life on the way back home.[/quote]

I love it but hate that little devil on the left side of your head reminding you that it is all wind and not you.

I was out for a ride one day with gusts in random directions and caught a 20+ mph tailwind and didn’t really notice. Cruising along at 25mph on the big ring, I thought that I’d suddenly become a monster. 'course later, I was hating life on the way back home.[/quote]

I love it but hate that little devil on the left side of your head reminding you that it is all wind and not you.[/quote]

In this case, I didn’t have that reminder. The wind had shifted directions and I’d thought it’d just gotten calmer. My delusion probably only lasted for 20-30 seconds. Lately, I find myself looking around the horizon for flags, trees, and whatever else might be blowing to give me a clue what the wind is doing. I commute near the shoreline and wind can make a big difference.

I got “in the zone” often was in college and could go dancing all the time. If the dj was good i could dance for 5-6 hours straight usually till the club closed. And i don’t do drugs and had no funds to drink. Def world melting away, in the zone, go on for days dancing and not feel any pain.
I relate this with tribal dancing to the beat of the hand drum that is used for religious purposes. It is pretty universal as I even see this type of beat induced hypnotism in Taoist ceremonies in Taiwan.
When cycling i have only ever felt it on long rides alone, and once you hit that point you feel like you can go on forever.
I always thought the term zen is kinda cheesy, but I guess that would be a correct way of describing it. You don’t feel desire, you don’t feel connected to other people, you don’t really feel your body, you are just focused on a repetitive motion and your mind is totally blank.

I was not going that fast for most of the way back, haha. probably a km at that cadence, dunno why I wrote otherwise. I was mostly pushing 100 though, which is high for me. i’m gonna put wings on my bike so i can plane more.

[quote=doofo]srsly though

dont you dumb hippies know that planing and flow are just other words for doping
?

lance flowed and planed to seven tdfs[/quote]

haha damn near just spit coffee all over the keyboard!

Like vobopl said, planing is a confusing term, what with the boat connotations. Some combinations of bike, weather, state of mind, and physical condition (drunkenness, for example) just make it seem like it takes less effort to go faster. I “plane” on my Trek way more often than on my other bikes, as it’s 5-10 pounds lighter and it’s just special.

team highschool
we go fast