DT Swiss RR 1.1? Open Pro CD? Something else?

I noticed some cracks around the eyelets of my road bike’s rear rim today (a craptastic Sun M13II. Ugh.). I’ve been wanting to rebuild those wheels for a while so I guess it will be sooner than later now.

Right now it’s down to these and Open Pro CDs. I want something narrow for 700x23 tires but still pretty stout. Box or semi-aero profile would be good. I’m not totally sold on the eyelets thing. I guess I’ve bought into the conventional wisdom that double-eyeleted = strong wheel so far, but maybe it’s time to try something different.

I loved my Open Pro CDs, though I just traded them away for a pair of track tubulars. They were sturdy as hell and, perhaps most importantly, they look very classy. HOWEVER, it’s apparently impossible to get ANY Mavic rims in the US at the moment, so unless you know a shop with some in stock, you might want to look at those DT Swiss rims.

Yeah. Dude at the shop is not a Mavic fan anyway. How about the Ambrosio Excellence?

i built some 28H ambrosio excellight, they are pretty nice. they built up well, nice and round, not much time spent on the build.
they are holding up real well too. front wheel took a light head on collision too and didn’t even need truing (dork on mountain bike plus blind corner, us both coming around at the same time…he got knocked on his ass. i went over the bars)

[quote="(|)"]i built some 28H ambrosio excellight, they are pretty nice. they built up well, nice and round, not much time spent on the build.
they are holding up real well too. front wheel took a light head on collision too and didn’t even need truing (dork on mountain bike plus blind corner, us both coming around at the same time…he got knocked on his ass. i went over the bars)[/quote]

Good to know (not the crashing part).

I’ve had my eye on IRD Cadences, they’re a single eyeletted box rim by IRD that weigh in at 390g. However, the roadies are giving them mixed reviews with some loving them and others saying they’re no good for durability/strength, but a lot of roadies also build up the 20 or 24h ones whereas I wouldn’t go lower than 32.

They are able to get their rims a bit lighter by using a special alloy that combines aluminum with niobium. I built a rear out of the IRD Cadence Aero (30mm Deep V style rim), I weighed it out before building on a hanger scale @ 455g (+/-5g). It’s been taking a beating really well and built up solid with very even tension across the board, so I’m currently a fan of IRD.

Worth a consideration on the Cadence box rims I suppose. I love the way low profile rims ride…

I had a road wheelset with some Ambrosio clinchers, I don’t remember the model, that were pretty stout. I rode lots of dirt farm roads with them and had no issues.

bumping dis

i got some 28h formula hubs, classy with no cutouts, white “bianchi” branding on em. wanna build a low profile wheelset.

thoughts on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Bicycle-Rims-Am ... 1|294%3A50

or i can get open pros for about 110 a pair

or… ?

ok thx

edit for another “or maybe…”

http://oddsandendos.com/product.sc?cate ... roductId=3

[quote=“trackatino”]I’ve had my eye on IRD Cadences, they’re a single eyeletted box rim by IRD that weigh in at 390g. However, the roadies are giving them mixed reviews with some loving them and others saying they’re no good for durability/strength, but a lot of roadies also build up the 20 or 24h ones whereas I wouldn’t go lower than 32.

They are able to get their rims a bit lighter by using a special alloy that combines aluminum with niobium. I built a rear out of the IRD Cadence Aero (30mm Deep V style rim), I weighed it out before building on a hanger scale @ 455g (+/-5g). It’s been taking a beating really well and built up solid with very even tension across the board, so I’m currently a fan of IRD.

Worth a consideration on the Cadence box rims I suppose. I love the way low profile rims ride…[/quote]

I’ve been looking at Kinlin rims for my next wheelset build. FairWheel bikes has 'em:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/rims-c-24.htm ... e8094e14c8

They’re cheaper and lighter than Mavic’s similar offerings and are well-regarded by the weight weenie crowd. It’s the same Aluminum Niobium combo.

Having been through a catastrophic front wheel failure on a single eyeletted rim, I now stick to double eyelets. One anecdote isn’t data though, so make of this what you will. I look at it as extra reassurance and given my own cycling needs, it would be absurd for me to give any consideration to the extra 40 (or whatever) grams.

Edit: More on topic, on my crosscheck I have a 32 eyelet DT TK 7.1 trekking rim on an XT front hub. I’ve been riding it for about 5000 kms now and this setup is ridiculously overkill for road riding. They’re strong as hell and comparable in profile and badassitude to Mavic A719’s.

Since this thread, I’ve built and seen a lot more wheels with DT Swiss rims, and I think they’re great. I love the 1.1 and the 1.2, and if I were putting together a new set of clincher wheels, I would use these without hesitation.

dtswiss ftw, always. love 'em, everyone i know loves 'em, and they’ve never failed on me or anyone I know.

I have an aerohead O/C on my roadie I’ve treated like crap (plus I’m 200#) and it’s held up real well.

Seems like you can’t really go wrong with any of the quality choices in double eyeletted box rims on the market: DT, Mavic, Ambrosio. At the point where you’re spending more than $60 on the rim it’s probably more the builder than the rim that will determine the durability of the finished wheel.

I’d wager that a nicely built set of CR-18s would be just as durable as anything else north of $60 per rim. You’re right though, pair a quality rim with a good build and you’ll have something that’s durable.

Air Max LTD
Air Max LTD Shoes
Nike Air Max 2010
Nike Air Max 180
Nike Air Max 2003
Nike Air Max 2009
Nike Air Max 360
Air Max 87 Shoes
Nike Air Max 90