Dura ace and work vrs phil woods and some laziness

Whos ridden/spun both? Ive never actually handled dura ace hubs in person, just phils. I was originally going to go phils due to quality + sealed, but after the group buy thread, Iv become tempted into going with dura ace / learning how to service with them because they are abit cheaper. I dont even ride in the rain much because obviously I am a huge non tarck pussy.

So, can I get some 2 cents?

:colbert:

Since you asked, for a non track bike I would get phils over dura-aces (and formula rear/ shimano looseball front over phils). It doesn’t make sense to run ultra high end “indoor” bike parts outside. Well it does make sense but only according to the absurd tarck logic that brought you bmc track machines with risers.

Both are good. I wouldn’t pay the money to get Phils.

which ones look cooler to you? because that’s really the only factor here. formula’s spin just fine, they’re sealed, and they’re a fifth of the price.

I was hesitant to get a PW when I needed a new back wheel. But my LBS only had hub sets and a single fixed PW or dual fixed DA. Since I ride in the rain and the thought of repacking after every rain wasn’t really appealing to me, I just went with the PW. It was $170, the Dual fixed DA was $140 or something. I’m happy with my purchase. Laced it to an Open Pro and couldn’t be happier. If I didn’t ride in the rain I would have gone with the DA though, but that would have been because I think they look better.

Paul hubs are of equal quality to Phil Woods, are lighter, and you can get a high flange rear on ebay for $110 BIN. They’re also sealed like Phils. So, consider Pauls and laziness for less weight, less expense, and terrific quality.

edited for clarity

if phils weren’t so expensive and pauls weren’t so ugly i would probably get them for my next wheels. i’m still thinking phils, i expect sweden to fuck up my bearings, but DA’s are just so fuckin pretty…and i don’t mind cleaning them too much.

Thread now open to any and all hub recommendations to research.

Zipp, just to throw out the expensive option, haha.

Phil Low Flange Black with Carbonyte Bearings… ULTIMATE BALLER~!

DA 7710 are real nice too. DA road front / track rear = half the maintenance since road DA’s are sealed looseball.

My next set of fixed wheels will be Record or DA road hubs: suicide style.

i thought there were PW LF track hubs? didn’t blicks hve one or something?

^

Why does everyone think you have to service loose ball hubs after every ride. every single shimano hub uses the exact same angular contact / cup and cone design. all that changes is the quality of the parts. the bearing system in a DA Track hub is identical to that in a DA road hub, and a XTR mountain hub. Even the Saint down hill hubs use the same style Cup and cone system. Because it is serviceable when you inevitably need to someday, instead of just having to buy new cartridges.

I ride well over 100 miles a week on my DA track hubs, rain snow or shine. I service them a few times a year, witch is probably more than I have to.

When I worked as a courier during the winter in Colorado I used XT mountain hubs I rode those hubs like crazy for work and fun and serviced them like once a year.

I should add, all that I have ever liked about shimano is their hubs. Mostly because I don’t like cartridge bearings.

Their track hubs aren’t sealed. Mine got pitted after a single unfortunate snowy/muddy day.

[quote=“Thirsty”]Why does everyone think you have to service loose ball hubs after every ride. every single shimano hub uses the exact same angular contact / cup and cone design. all that changes is the quality of the parts. the bearing system in a DA Track hub is identical to that in a DA road hub, and a XTR mountain hub. Even the Saint down hill hubs use the same style Cup and cone system. Because it is serviceable when you inevitably need to someday, instead of just having to buy new cartridges.

I ride well over 100 miles a week on my DA track hubs, rain snow or shine. I service them a few times a year, witch is probably more than I have to.

When I worked as a courier during the winter in Colorado I used XT mountain hubs I rode those hubs like crazy for work and fun and serviced them like once a year.[/quote]

is there a single fucking messenger on the internet who doesn’t sneak it into every unrelated conversation they can?

I personally don’t mind cleaning and repacking bearings, but I can see how others would think it was a pain.

I actually enjoyed doing it on my old bike.

trick question: real messengers aren’t on the internet

LOL MESSENGERS!!!