Dynamo help

how is radio shack not out of business

they are, mr puffy vest is behind the times.

I actually went to one today
It’s on ne Broadway in Portland

Noticed a new dynamo noise this morning. Really loud on quiet MUP but still audible in traffic.
Sounds like WOWOWOWOWOW.
Fred’s old SONdelux connected to Luxos U 3.0 to Secula.
Never had the sound previous to the recent rebuild of the Elephant but enough things changed that I need to do more research.
Recent changes could be:

• Mud/water damage from submerge during mountain biking
  • Larger power draw from new Luxos U.

On the commute I noticed the sound when:

1. Lights on
  2. Lights off but I get a periodic (one second every 20 seconds) noise when the Luxos draws a tiny bit of energy to keep its internal battery topped off.

I did not get any noise at all when I unplugged the hub from the light.

I am going to bring my IQ Cyo Premium on my next ride where I can get some quiet trail. That way I can isolate if the issue and see if the hub trying to power a larger load.

TC: wish dynamos were serviceable.

I’ve seen a son cracked open. possibly on here.

Just about anything is serviceable with the right level of knowledge and equipment.

My seat bag kludge really knocked my secula while riding today and broke one of the wires. Does anyone in Seattle have some spade connectors handy?

I’ve got a big bag, PM me for a handful

Not sure where Peter lives but If you want a nearby source you can swing by my place any evening and we can dig through the bottomless dynamo bag of goodies.

anybody have problems with spades coming loose on luxos?

If the crimp receptacle is just slipping off the Luxos blade terminal you can lightly squeeze the wire-side of the receptacle with needle-nose pliers.
This keeps it easy to initially insert then as you press it further down the blade terminal it gets tighter and tighter.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]I am going to bring my IQ Cyo Premium on my next ride where I can get some quiet trail. That way I can isolate if the issue and see if the hub trying to power a larger load.
[/quote]

So I did the IQ Cyo test on another ride. Heard the same intensity of noise so light vs heavy load seem irrelevant.
Rode it home one night with the Luxos on and noise still persisted.
Woke up the next morning for bike camping trip with hub still connected to the light (light off)…magically did not hear any noise?? I did not turn on the light to see how long I could go noiseless. Rode the entire ride with no noise.
So confuse but happy I guess?

IIRC I feel like I have read about this noise on the internet. And people say, “SON knows about it, email them.” Am I wrong about that?

Is it the light or the hub that makes noises? My luxos U has made some ominous noises before.

Definitely the hub, you can feel the vibration transmitted up the fork/stem/bars into your hands. Also, when I plugged in my Cyo during the test I had it sitting in my rando bag side pocket and the noise was definitely not emanating from the loose lamp.

I probably should just contact Schmidt or Peter White

you guys like jokes?

national advocacy group’s annual light tests are out.

https://rideonmagazine.com.au/top-150-bike-lights-2015/

[quote]
In Germany and Japan the rules for bicycle lighting are already thoroughly defined. The Germany regulations, in particular, require that a bicycle light does not spread above the ground ten metres in front of the bicycle.

In anticipation of the new Australian standard following this European lead, Ride On has adapted its test method this year to approximate the German regulations. All lights over 200 lumen output were angled down to focus at a point ten metres ahead. [/quote]

The “best”

They also specifically don’t test dynamo lights… coz reasons. And maybe because they’re not imported, but there’s not a shaped beam StVZO battery light to be seen in the list.

Still not gonna stop freds running superbright unshaped lights aimed at my face.

#rivshit

$200 light with provisions for bolting on?
Fuckit. Zipties

Hey can you hand me a piece of kindling I need something to jam in there to adjust the beam
#justrivthings

I got the b+m version of the SON tail light. Brightness is about the same as the secula. Side visibility is great. It’s one small LED like the secula and uses its lens to spread the beam. Vertically the super bright beam path is rather narrow, so it needs to be tilted correctly for best effect.

I hacked off the side ears and epoxyed a bracket for seat clamp mounting.