Dynamo help

Nice. followed someone the other week with the SON version, hadn’t seen one in the wild until then. Not as good as the philips/bigger B&M’s imho, but still quite a nice light, especially at the price/size.

I’m planning to bolt one up under a saddle and run the cable through the seatpost at some point.

Yeah, the map mod looked good. I thought about it for a minute too

Seen the lyt replacement, the avy? Looks nice for a super budget option, better optics too. Size of the eyc

http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and-mueller-lumotec-iq-avy-n-plus/

I have one on the family bike. It’s okay, but I don’t know what US retail is on it – if be reluctant to spend more than $50.

The beam is relatively narrow, but it has a nice long throw. I can’t provide a full review because it is mounted in a weird place with a lot of wheel shadow. But overall it seems like a good light.

Anyone need one of these headlight mounts?

Pay shipping and it’s yours.

I will second that its my favorite fork mounted dynamo lamp holder. Have it on my commuter and it plays really well with low straddle cable cantilevers and fenders. There is even a little hole in the bracket so you can capture the fender on the front and back side of the crown to keep everything solid. Bonus feature of fender attachment is keeping the entire light bracket from loosening and swiveling about the crown hole axis. A sort of bicycle symbiotic relationship

[quote=dorth]#rivshit

[/quote]

As an emergency repair, but gosh do I hate that if is the “solution”. Any bullshit reflector bracket plus a pipe clamp would still be Rivmo and at least work.

The bracket has been claimed.

oh tarck dynamo gods, what kind of connectors should I buy to redo all my lighting stuff?

I’m digging this supernova thing but they’re like 9 dollars a set from euroland.

I have to wire up two rear lights (one fender, one for no fender), the rearward cable end coming from the front to connect them to, and a front splice where I take my rack off. So I need… 3 sets of something by my count.

I’m also thinking maybe do everything with the same kind of connectors that fit onto a SON hub so that it is all identical. Where do I get spares of that?

ooh, there’s nice connectors available on ebay etc. look for RC car stuff.

http://www.myrcmart.com/banana-connector-Φ2145mm-gold-plated-gilt-terminal-p-6985.html

$0.25ea

20 sets for $5

^yeah, that stuff, plus marine grade heat shrink from harbor freight (contains adhesive that waterproofs the heatshrunk connection)

thanks dudes

BLAST, no one told me there was soldering involved.

haven’t kept up with dynamo tech since i got my SON28. is a SON28 worth it over a SP PD8?

fwiw, i truly despise the SON connector spades.

I’ve got 5,500 miles on mine and there are no signs it is going to fail soon.

Oh man I hate those spades too. So much. Why no clicky plastic?!

SQ: has anybody here actually fried a dynohub? I’m thinking I’ve got a couple thousand miles on my cheap Sanyo, just kinda curious about when I can expect it to crap out (now that I’m sold on dynolyfe, I’d probably replace it with something nicer)

lots of times the races/cones get all pitted and replacements aren’t available/the hub isn’t serviceable.

I’m sure a number of people here have me beat but I’ve had an Alfine dynamo on my commuter since… 2009. No signs of letting up and this bike sees service/cleaning from me when it is too dirty to touch without getting dirty.

you have a SON or SP?

i have an SP that i got from jimmy but haven’t but much time on it… need to get a new bar/beater bike together.