Dynamo help

Sorry, an SP. Usage is primarily all-weather commuting with a few hundred dirt miles. Some touring, too. Also roughly 4000 miles on top of a car, with several midwestern thunderstorms. Spins just as well as it did on day one. I guess it’s kind of hard to evaluate how the bearings feel with the magnet clicks.

Hey, who had the sp/luxos combo problems? Buddy has a pv8 and luxos u, he said all of a sudden the hub sounded like a turbine. i remember somebody had a similar concern?

Was that Squirrel?

Yeah, it was me. So the obnoxious turbine sound is back on my Schmidt SONdelux. It went away for a while (not sure why?) then suddenly appeared again halfway through an eastern washington gravel/sand/dirt/asphalt 3 day tour a few weeks ago.

Now the sound is completely independent from the load and indefinite :colbert:

I think I am going to order a new dynamo today (prob centerlock cuz futureproofing) and have it laced up to a new rim so I can send this one back for a possible replacement. It may be out of warranty (5 year).
Fred, what year did you purchase the dynamo I bought off you?

huh
is it possible that the lamp could do this to the hub?
im gonna do some internob sleuthing

first

so there’s that but also:

Cool, thanks for the tip.

I did some tests and determined that the hub noise is independent of lamp situation. (tested both Cyo Premium and Luxos)

I was thinking of doing this as well. Is it Tarck approved?

Sorry to be this dick, but what’s the consensus on good tail lights these days?

Something available stateside would be a plus, because I don’t need enough stuff to make a Euro order right now.

secula is good and cheap, $25 from p.white

love my secula, just don’t get the “seatpost” mount version, it’s worthless

How is centerlock any more future proof than 6 bolt which has been around forever, and continues to be the most predominant type of rotor?

Summer 2011

can’t tell where from

he’s talkinbout getting a disc hub to use on a canti bike for now

anecdotal small sample size results from my LBS that equips a bunch of commuters and epic adventurers and in between with dynos, shimano are the only ones that haven’t failed. SP & SON both have, and neither have local service/repair options, only replacement is an option.

even smaller, less useful sample, I’ve had shimano/sp/son in service for varying periods from 9-1 years and nothing in my ownership has failed yet.

I’ve had Supernova dyno lights fail totally & fail standlight, haven’t killed any B&M / Philips lights but I don’t have a luxos.

My shimano dh-xxx has run since 2008. I think it has been repacked like five times in its life. I’m still using the cyo it’s paired with too. Every few years i replace the wallwart wire and spades.

An SP of mine died young, and was waranteed cheerfully.

Shutter Precision Dynamo Headlight- Any good? i get shop bro pricing.

anecdotal small sample size results from my LBS that equips a bunch of commuters and epic adventurers and in between with dynos, shimano are the only ones that haven’t failed. SP & SON both have, and neither have local service/repair options, only replacement is an option.
[/quote]
That’s kinda interesting. One of my buddies got a new job so he’s getting an AWOL with every gizmo. The shopbros at the shop he’s getting it built at were getting him a SP I think, as they had a good relationship with their rep or something like that. I told him that my not-so-informed opinion was to get Shimano because always get Shimano, but he thought those hubs were too slow or something. Given I’ve got the Sanyo, probably the slowest hub, and I’ve never noticed a difference, I guess it doesn’t really matter to me.

What is the wholesale situation on SP stuff for American shopbros? They list Merry Sales as a distributor but I don’t see anything in the Merry Sales catalog. Anyone tried ordering direct from Taiwain? Do they have onerous minimums?

Merry usually has some.