Dynamo help

Eric,
Here’s how you mount a ‘fender’ secula on a ‘road’ bike. (Jimmy beat me, but here’s another option using an old cateye reflector bracket)

I’ve tailed a Schmidt taillight, it’s ok, but the Secula is better. I have the B&M version en route to attempt to hack into a saddle, like on the Cambium cantle plate.

The Hermans one looks like a smaller version of the Philips I have, would try that sometime soon.

I moved the B&M Toplight (with button) to sup’s townie, it’s still excellent, different beam/reflector arrangement to secula/philips/hermans, but both are very effective.

Another way to accomplish the same thing, did this as a cheap short-term fix, but it has worked great so it’s still there.

Fender mount Secula attached at the seatstay via improvised bent spoke mount Improvised seatstay mount

B&M Secula Plus Rear Light

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I’m going to order a FM Secula and make a mount.

Eric - you want to make a pair?
I’ll subsidize any costs, obviously.

the cross bracket also works well

http://www.longleafbicycles.com/products/busch-muller-cross-bracket-for-fender-taillight-mounts-seculite-plus-to-cantilever-stud

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]first

so there’s that but also:

So this morning I noticed that if I lean the bike in certain orientations and put some weight on the front wheel I could get the noise to briefly go away.
I remembered your mention of skewer over tightening and decided to pull over and try it.
I THINK IT WORKED! We will see on the ride home tonight if I hear it at all.

Thanks!

[quote=Bahamontes]Eric - you want to make a pair?
I’ll subsidize any costs, obviously.[/quote]

I’ll show what I come up with and you can let me know if still interested.

I’m known for just grabbing whatever shit I have laying around.

While riding next to my buddy on the MUP last weekend, it was pretty obvious his light was a bit brighter than mine. He has a regular Cyo Premium while I have the Cyo Premium With Daytime Goatee LEDs.

After a while I realized mine is probably less bright because it has the same 2.6 watts but has to power 4 extra LEDs. Pretty disappointing, but not really because I used it without concern for 1.5 years.

Wait, so the goatee lights run even when it’s dark out? I kinda thought they ran when the light was “senso off”. Guess that scratches that light off, I already leave my lights on all the time.

Do you guys run the same hub?

edit: also, does the goatee have that weird near-field lens:

The goatee lights run all the time in senso mode, but when the main headlight kicks on the goatee DRLs kick down to a much lower brightness, they don’t really “steal” power from the main LED

It’s possible he has the 80 lux version and you don’t? That would be my guess

Nope they’re both 80 lux premiums. No reflector lens, both running on sp hubs.

I mean the daytime lights dim during night riding, but they’re still on and there’s four of them. Surely they take some power?

Do these lights just dinner after being used for 5500 miles in all weather?

I think the Peter White site actually mentions that the DRL versions are less bright.

Hmm… Any comment on the visibility of the (slightly?) brighter non-DRL 80lux Cyo P vs. the DRL?

I had thought that the purpose of those LEDs was increased distance/side visibility (meaning: being seen, vs. seeing).

I know that my buddy’s regular is very, very visible in daytime conditions. Other DRL lights I’ve seen while commuting are pretty visible as well. I think any real world difference is going to be minor. Would be curious about a direct comparison tho

Me too. Let me know if you guys ever want me to video record you two riding side by side.

Me too. Let me know if you guys ever want me to video record you two riding side by side.[/quote]
Sounds like a date.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]
Me too. Let me know if you guys ever want me to video record you two “riding” side by side.[/quote]
this week in unnecessary quotation marks

[quote=emor]Nope they’re both 80 lux premiums. No reflector lens, both running on sp hubs.

I mean the daytime lights dim during night riding, but they’re still on and there’s four of them. Surely they take some power?

Do these lights just dinner after being used for 5500 miles in all weather?[/quote]

i’m guessing the number of times the contact points have been cleaned is probably close to 0. try that before anything and see if there’s an improvement.

the probability of no cleaning at all is 1