Dynamo help

You might want to consider build in some adjustability. While the beam is nice and wide sideways, the sweet spot vertically is fairly narrow.

Whoa, people are mounting those vertically?

[quote=buffoon]
You might want to consider build in some adjustability. While the beam is nice and wide sideways, the sweet spot vertically is fairly narrow.[/quote]

I had thought about that but it seemed like bikenerd overkill since the light is intended to mount to a rack anyway. It would be a cool design though…

I just ordered one of these little guys:

IQ2 EYC
It probably won’t suck right?

it doesnt suck

They are so itty bitty cute IRL.

I think Axel has one, he can chime in with his experience. I seem to remember he was a little underwhelmed with perceived brightness from riders perspective in the city (competing with streetlights). I think this was also his first experience with dynamo light beam pattern which is slightly different than the super bright concentrated orb you get from most battery lights. I’m going to stop putting words in his mouth.

Seems like a great light to pair with 1.5W hub on race bike.

I have one, paired with a 1.5, on my go “fast” bike
It’s not as bright/big as the bigger lights but it doesn’t need to be

Anybody fondled one of these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-quick-release-hub-mtb-bicycle-dynamo-6V-3W-36H-32-holes-front-hub-bicycle-bike/32352310648.html
Cheap and colors.

Up to a certain point, you get what you pay for atmo.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/NEW-U2-Bicycle-Generation-wheel-Friction-power-Front-Head-Light-Waterproof-Flashlight-Bicycle-LED-Headlight-Headlamp/1398932_32349913445.html

seems legit …

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-quick-release-hub-mtb-bicycle-dynamo-6V-3W-36H-32-holes-front-hub-bicycle-bike/32352310648.html
seems more legit

What’s the go-to dynamo hub for small wheels (20")? Disc, preferably centerlock. Not paying for SONdelux. Is it cool to just go for SP? That whole bit about small wheels frying bulbs doesn’t apply to LED, right?

LED lights can’t really be fried

The Shutter S-series hubs are designed to put out the standard 6v3W with a 20" wheel, but they don’t make a centerlock version, just 6-bolt disc.

You could also run something like the Shimano Deore XT DH-T785-1D dynohub that’s centerlock and rated at 1.5W.

But as said, LED headlights have overvoltage protection already so it shouldn’t be an issue. But a lower output hub would be less drag with the smaller wheel.

LUXOS (U) BROS:

OK so I only have the lamp connected to the dynamo and some loose wires on the rear light position. I’ve got the light on in its underwhelming ‘yellow’ mode and im riding along and it will just shut off. At speed, slowing, or stopped - the light just shuts off. The same happens when I’m in the much more acceptable ‘blue’ mode. Anybody have this problem? Is the lamp defective?

Also, does anybody notice interference with a luxos u and garmin? like, the garmin will shut down? i had the garmin drop 3 times in 100k yesterday. i dont think ive had that happen that many times before.

[quote=drwelby]The Shutter S-series hubs are designed to put out the standard 6v3W with a 20" wheel, but they don’t make a centerlock version, just 6-bolt disc.

You could also run something like the Shimano Deore XT DH-T785-1D dynohub that’s centerlock and rated at 1.5W.

But as said, LED headlights have overvoltage protection already so it shouldn’t be an issue. But a lower output hub would be less drag with the smaller wheel.[/quote]

Or use the pl8 or pl8x, both centrelock, x supposed to be even more efficient but you have to use thru axle to qr adaptors.

i might got it figured

Didn’t have a sweet rear reflector bracket to mount my taillight (THANKS VANDENBERG) so I dug through ziplocs of parts and eventually found this L shaped bracket with 3 holes. Enlarged one hole to 8.5mm fit over the 8mm OD seatpost binder bolt, then bent it 90º and attached the light. Doesn’t look too bad except for the cable terminals facing towards the rain now.

fkn cat chewed the shit out of the little plugs too, have to replace with spades now.

Can make it out in this pic:

Not too shabby blakey. On a related note:

I got a shitty oem reflector bracket that is supposed to clamp on your seatpost. I took the part that interfaces with the actual reflector and attached it to an hourglass rack mount on my chainstay. As we all know by now a fenderlight fits this interface by design. It’s not terrible but I think I am going to keep looking for something that clamps onto the chainstay a la the superflash mount. I just like setting up lights down there.

why no 15mm son28 in centerlock? :colbert: