educate me on tubulars

I’m addicted to riding on my tubular race wheels… the mix of light weight, aero, tubular feel, etc… is something that every cyclist should try sometime.

I ride them quite a bit in training and on race day… I’m considering running stan’s no flat in them from now on after reading good results on weight weenies… I’ve yet to get a flat on mine after a few summers of ~50% tubular riding… and I dont ride with a spare… only a bottle of that vittoria shit that apparently only works sometimes…

Up to just a few years ago I would have recommended that any race bike run tubular, but now clinchers have gotten so good that it’s hard to say.
Being able to go up to 180psi or higher is awesome on the track, and uncomfortable on the road. I don’t like the idea of one of my riders being on a tire that is not properly glued on so unless team support is available (spare wheels) I don’t recommend them for the road. Track and Crits, that’s about it.

I personally think changing a tube is fast enough, and you can ride hard right off the bat.

Even though fairly inexpensive modern clinchers (Pro 3 Race, GP4000) ride as well as all but the most extravagant tubular tires, I have to admit that there’s an anachronistic joy in tubulars that I really love.

I keep wanting a tubular wheelset (maybe for the someday-to-be cross bike), but Pro Race 3s are going for $29 a piece these days.

i like tubulars
except when you take your wheel to the bike shop to get a new spoke and a dumbass bike shop employee
says hold on…disappears into the back and tries to get your tire off and rips the base tape and ruins your tire

all i wanted was a spoke
that idiot

i should have taken the tire of before i went up there but i couldn’t imagine a transaction going that wrong

after he ripped teh tape he explained to me that i had a tubular tire…lol

[quote=“dooktruck”]i like tubulars
except when you take your wheel to the bike shop to get a new spoke and a dumbass bike shop employee
says hold on…disappears into the back and tries to get your tire off and rips the base tape and ruins your tire

all i wanted was a spoke
that idiot

i should have taken the tire of before i went up there but i couldn’t imagine a transaction going that wrong

after he ripped teh tape he explained to me that i had a tubular tire…lol[/quote]
pitd!

Hahahaha. That would result in some serious shit talking and lots of free shit.

Cross tubulars are the shit:

Older models are not that expensive, this is pre-Flexus winter elite pro - got the rear one for $45. The front is 2yo, winter in the city and off-road in the summer and now needs pumping up every other day :frowning: . It will get a second helping of Tuffo repair stuff.

i don’t care how much of a pain in the ass they are, i still want to build up my fiamme tubular rims…

someone sell me some cheap old track hubs so i can make it happen.