Executive Assistant Jackass of the Day

wish they had up to date google satellite photos of this spot in golden, co where they updated a road with the effectively giant round cement disc in the middle of the road. it’s so awkward and tight that it’s downright impossible to drive through a non-standard sized vehicle without plowing over the curbs. i drove through in our company sprinter and at 10mph, i’m still driving on the curbs. the road is too narrow and the circle is way too damn small to drive around.

We have a few roundabouts sprinkled around Louisville. One located on the edge a big park and in a high end neighborhood works well except for the random people who stop in the middle because they aren’t use to driving though them.

They are putting in a new one at an intersection that previously just held a 4 way stop with flashing red lights. This new one is like what Max was talking about, overly complicated with extra lanes going everywhere. it was confusing driving through it and the extra lanes aren’t opened yet.

Driving through golden is somewhat of a nightmare with all that construction. I’m considering riding lookout after work, and I don’t want to even think about having to cross 6.

Also last time I was in Canada we rented a car and drove north to Detroit then over to Toronto. We would pull a couple extra loops around every traffic circle if my friend Jared wasn’t driving. By the end of the trip he would be yelling mad as we laughed and laughed just driving around in circles.

[quote=shane.rrr]We have a few roundabouts sprinkled around Louisville. One located on the edge a big park and in a high end neighborhood works well except for the random people who stop in the middle because they aren’t use to driving though them.

They are putting in a new one at an intersection that previously just held a 4 way stop with flashing red lights. This new one is like what Max was talking about, overly complicated with extra lanes going everywhere. it was confusing driving through it and the extra lanes aren’t opened yet.[/quote]

Is it in Lexington where there is a freeway interchange that has you driving on the wrong side through the intersection? I ran into something like that when I was in Kentucky for work a few years back.

Yeah that post makes no sense whatsoever with regard to this situation. If you care to actually read what I posted, you’ll find out that there are two different and perfectly “valid” ways to use two-lane roundabouts. If one guy uses one approach and the other uses the other, they have a pretty good chance of crashing. You can’t position your car so everyone knows which exit you’re heading for unless there’s a common understanding among everyone about how people get around in these things.[/quote]
Yeah, I read your post. You didn’t describe different ways to use roundabouts. You described 2 design approaches. The painted lines and road furniture dictate use. I detailed a single strategy to navigate through either design (pro tip: driving predictably is good outside of roundabouts too). Like I said, it’s not complicated, follow the lines and signs. If there are none, don’t. Rocket surgery.

Ahaha, we did the same thing on the bike tour in 2012. Three times around every roundabout.

Ahaha, we did the same thing on the bike tour in 2012. Three times around every roundabout.[/quote]

Back around 2006 or so I went on a few critical mass rides and they always did this. It’s way more obnoxious when there are 100 people doing it.

Could always be worse: You could live in the UK (this is true for many things).

At first I thought they were driving the wrong way (for UK) then I realized it was concentric fucking circles.

drivers in DC are so exceptionally shitty that they require traffic lights IN roundabouts. there is nothing worse than being in a roundabout waiting at a red light when there’s no “cross” traffic

Look up the magic roundabout and weep.

the 6 crossing to get up lookout has been done for a few months, no? i know the road is probably still a mess, but last i drove through there, it was all an overpass, with all of the highway 6 traffic going under, so i assume its much better than before.

the dumbass traffic calming circles are on heritage rd between 6 and hwy 40. cyclists are diverted onto a semi raised sidewalky thing thats half as high as the actual sidewalk.

Haven’t been through Golden since August I think, and it was still pretty crummy at that time.

I grew up in Dupont Circle

A 5-road intersection between P Street, 19th Street, NH Ave, Conn Ave which has a tunnel underneath and pairs of one-way service roads for the intersection, along with Mass Ave which has two concentric inner half-circles for through traffic along with separate lanes/cycles for the outer circle

so 2+2+2+4+8 makes it an 18-way signaled intersection

Yeah that post makes no sense whatsoever with regard to this situation. If you care to actually read what I posted, you’ll find out that there are two different and perfectly “valid” ways to use two-lane roundabouts. If one guy uses one approach and the other uses the other, they have a pretty good chance of crashing. You can’t position your car so everyone knows which exit you’re heading for unless there’s a common understanding among everyone about how people get around in these things.[/quote]
Yeah, I read your post. You didn’t describe different ways to use roundabouts. You described 2 design approaches. The painted lines and road furniture dictate use. I detailed a single strategy to navigate through either design (pro tip: driving predictably is good outside of roundabouts too). Like I said, it’s not complicated, follow the lines and signs. If there are none, don’t. Rocket surgery.[/quote]
Not that it matters, but here it goes once again for the kid who was sleeping in the back of the class. There are two ways of using normal run-of-the-mill two-lane roundabouts which have no solid line or physical barrier between the lanes (i.e. where you can change lanes inside the roundabout). One approach is that you use it like a normal two-lane road. You can drive round and round in circles in the outside lane. If you want to get out of the inside lane, indicate and make sure the outside lane is clear. The other approach is that you only use the outside lane if you’re taking the next exit. In that case you don’t expect people to go past exits in the outside lane, so if you’re in the inside lane you generally turn off at your exit without looking too hard at what’s going on behind you on your right. We almost got creamed by an SUV turning off into us ages ago when my dad din’t know the Brits used system 2 and puttered around in the outside lane trying to work out which exit we had to take.

[quote=yonderboy][quote=shane.rrr]We have a few roundabouts sprinkled around Louisville. One located on the edge a big park and in a high end neighborhood works well except for the random people who stop in the middle because they aren’t use to driving though them.

They are putting in a new one at an intersection that previously just held a 4 way stop with flashing red lights. This new one is like what Max was talking about, overly complicated with extra lanes going everywhere. it was confusing driving through it and the extra lanes aren’t opened yet.[/quote]

Is it in Lexington where there is a freeway interchange that has you driving on the wrong side through the intersection? I ran into something like that when I was in Kentucky for work a few years back.[/quote]

Nope this is Louisville. Nice roundabout is the one on Cherokee. The new complicated one is in Fairdale. But I think I have been on the one you are talking about

We have this beauty. Seven roads and a few stop signs that are generally ignored.

Wow. I can’t even imagine dealing with those roundabout nightmares. Chicago (thankfully) only has a couple roundabouts that I know of but we have a bunch of these:

This one, which was the worst that I know of was recently rebuilt to be much more manageable:
Before:

After:

It’s much better now except the other day I rode through a sheltered bike lane on the “Rerouted Elston” section and there was a puddle that I thought was inconsequential but it was actually like four inches deep and was mud mixed with concrete and now I have concrete all over the cranks and bottom bracket of my endpoint. Thanks Chicago!