Extra chain rings on IRO crank

Hi,
I have an IRO crank on my bike that I’m looking to (un)convert to a geared. Can I just buy a couple more rings and put them on, or do I need to buy a new crank?

Thanks,
Ash

IRO cranks only accept one ring. But you can get lots of nice used road doubles (and triples) for cheap on eBay, as well as in Marketplace on this forum.

Do you think I could swap out the cranks using the same bottom bracket (a square taper shimano)?

Thanks,
Ash

theoretically the BB could be reused but you may or may not need a new spindle, depending on needed length

[quote=“Ash”]Do you think I could swap out the cranks using the same bottom bracket (a square taper shimano)?

Thanks,
Ash[/quote]

honestly, if you really want to do this, just buy a new bb. the stock iro bb is pretty low quality, so if you are planning on completely changing the setup of the bike you may want to add a new bb to the list.

Actually, this is a Raleigh Record I converted a couple years back. I had to get the BB tube re-threaded, and put a sealed Shimano BB in it.

Shimano UN-54 is cheap cheap.

and decent

That’s the BB I have currently in my bike (if memory serves me right).

then as mentioned work on finding some road doubles and determining if the spindle length will be the same or not

Shit, I can’t believe I didn’t see your post. My browser went right to the post below yours. Sorry about that. So I guess I’ll order a pair of cranks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0150352161

and see if they fit with the derailleurs/wheel.

Thanks.

Yes, those. Do note that decent chainrings that are pinned and ramped aren’t that cheap. Try to find a crankset that comes with.