eyewear chat

I see. I’m at about the 5" mark too. I didn’t wear glasses as a kid and don’t recall needing them, I just had constant headaches that resolved when I got my first pair. I’ve skied sans glasses out of necessity, but it was ugly. I’m pretty helpless. Don’t have a back up pair either. YOLO!

I was so close to pulling the trigger on lasik, but then a doctor finally told me the unfortunate truth. I was legally blind in my left eye as a kid, didn’t wear glasses for a majority of my life, and at some point my brain just stopped paying attention to my left eye because it didn’t do much of anything. Lasik would correct my eye, but it would be almost pointless, since my body basically started ignoring its existence years ago. Feels bad man.

Holy shit, no way. Do you have depth perception issues?

I think I’m going to get some glasses from SportRX. I’ve worn nothing but contacts for 15+ years. I can barely see with the ancient pair of glasses I have. I wouldn’t leave the house in them, let alone drive.

Anyone know anything about the Oakley crossover models? I hear they’re like hybrid bikes, but for your face.

I had a pair of Oakley’s similar to the keels in college. Fucking terrible. Kept slipping off when doing anything vigorous.

Holy shit, no way. Do you have depth perception issues? [/quote]

Not that I’ve ever noticed. I can actually function decently without glasses, just because my right eye is near perfect.

Yeah brains are awesome at compensating for tons of stuff.

Lenscrafters does Oakley, the price isn’t insanely terrible if you have the insurance. Not cheap but pretty close to brodeal Rx price.

They still can’t do sport curve lenses in house only the hybrid type ones. Unless that’s changed in the past couple years

They order the lenses from Oakley, takes a week. Amy just got some flack jackets through them. Insurance picked up the Rx, she paid for the frames and a coating upgrade.

Yeah that’s awesome if you have insurance…

Mebbe I should post this in the geezer thread. Can a 40 year old dude pull this off?

[quote=tarckeemoon]Mebbe I should post this in the geezer thread. Can a 40 year old dude pull this off?

[/quote]

AYHSMB

[quote=tarckeemoon]Mebbe I should post this in the geezer thread. Can a 40 year old dude pull this off?

[/quote]

On the bike, yes. Anywhere else, probably not.

Depends how dumb you want to look. I got grey Oakleys so they don’t stand out so much when used as sunglasses off the bike. I’m self-conscious about people thinking I’m a douchebag who never takes his sunglasses off. THEYRE PRESCRIPTION, I CAN’T HELP IT.

That’s what I’m thinking too. On the plus side it would discourage me from wearing them in situations where I would look like a douche where I might think I was getting away with it with something less obnoxious.

[quote=Roundabout]Rudy makes some styles with drop-in compatibility; rather than make the sunglass lens prescription, they have prescription lenses that sit just behind the sunglass lenses. Have a coworker that loves his.
[/quote]
Rudy also makes prescription sunglass lenses. They make them in Italy on special order so they cost a ton, but I’m sure they’re better than the clip-in extra lenses. They’re a lot lighter for one thing.

My eyes are just about getting bad enough that I need to do something about them, so I asked about this at the Rudy shop. I guess I will see if my eyes can tolerate contact lenses.

Saw a greybeard walking with his wife the other day wearing bright colored glasses like that I’d bet were RX. Get something more tasteful for off the bike or suffer getting laughed at for trying to look like a 20 y/o.

AYHSMB works too.

We’ve got a middle aged guy at work who rides a lot and has some prescription biking glasses. Looks totally fine on the bike but when he gets off the bike you are always double-taking because he looks like some sort of sci-fi villain.

I made an exam appointment. Talked about the Rudy options a bit with the one of the folks there. Based on my current prescription my frame options are pretty limited. Most would require an insert. They had a sample insert and holy shit did it suck. It was tiny and had a rim, so peripheral vision was total crap and while she told me they usually adjust the nosepiece to get the insert out from the eyes a bit it was really close. Plus it looked terrible, like I was heading out to play racquetball or something.

Supposedly these will work. Man, I need to get some hair implants so I can look this cool.

If I had hypothetically picked up a pair of Oakley Whiskers a year ago just because Gearscan had them for stupid cheap, what would be involved in getting scrip lenses in them? Just take them to Lenscrafters?