Fantom Cross Uno

First off, anyone have any experience with them, is this a good deal?
I’m not set on ss but I dont think I’d mind it.

Second, it says to add an inch to the standover, meaning the standover on a 54 is like 32" My issue here is, I ride a 54 square BK, will this be comparable (I dont want to find geo specs atm, I’ll look those up tomorrow, just wondering if anyone can shed light on sizing).

Finally, how heavy is this thing going to be? I think I’ll replace the fork with a CF one eventually, but for now, what am I looking at weight wise?

Basically, drop some knowledge on my ass about buying a cyclocross bike.

i think it’s a good deal.

they say add 1" because of the larger tires.

i read, i think on BFCX, that it weighs 19.8 pounds.

i was trying to pick up a white one before they sold out of my size. add some aero levers, carbon cross fork, and maybe some lighter folding bead tires, and accept the fact that the rear cable routing is pretty dumb, and it’s a pretty good deal.

i like mine… the wheels are pretty shitty, and heavy as hell… but with the mods you guys are talking about, it would make a pretty nice bike.

haha i was just about to make this thread!!!

buy my cross check.

Your first order of business should be installing a pair of these.

[quote=“bonechilling”]Your first order of business should be installing a pair of these.

[/quote]

funny you should mention it, I just bought a set of those and put em on my touring bike.
love em.

so would you guys suggest just buying the frame and building it up?
I have bars and a stem and stuff, or is it probably a better idea to buy it complete, sell the wheels and buy something lighter, add the fork and (clearly) put on some aero levers?

i’d buy complete and sell it… The market for flip flop wheels on craigslist is rediculous

yeah. if you already have a nicer wheelset, resell the stock wheels. use that money to buy a good fork and those exact levers bonechilling posted.

then go race!

And don’t mistake the R200A for the RL520 which are like hatchets.

56?

looks like a complete buy, and then a CL flip of the wheels to start funding a decent wheel build/fork/levers will be the avenue of choice when I finally find the cash and space for a cross bike…
maybe I’ll wait till they come back in in white.

ok i think im gonna pick one of these up. someone purty please help me with some sizing:

im riding a 53 rush. fantoms come in 52 and 54. jump up or jump down?

The rule of thumb is usually two-sizes smaller for a CX bike, due to the frequent mounting and dismounting. If you’re not planning on racing with it, then I’m not sure how that advice helps you, though.

yeah mainly just planning on having it as a new rain bike to replace the MTB

i’d go larger. that’s what i ended up doing on the Rob roy i bought. i picked up a 60 when i’m usually a 58, because i’m not goign to race it but have as my rain/daily commuter…

I want to buy a cross frame/bike soon, but I can’t find anything steel in my price range that seems like it would be decent to compete on, and I don’t think an aluminum cross bike would stand up to what I do to my bikes.

You mean 2 cm shorter seat tube, or actually two sizes, like 58 to a 54? Do most people also run their saddle a little lower than they would on a road bike?

from what i’ve read/seen on some tip videos is that a couple cm under your ideal road fit for frame size is good, and saddle height is changeable based on preference but again not too far down from where you’d want it riding road. i haven’t done any cross racing so maybe somebody else might have different/better info. i’m also considering one of these bikes for the winter months and maybe even trying to get into racing next season.

You mean 2 cm shorter seat tube, or actually two sizes, like 58 to a 54? Do most people also run their saddle a little lower than they would on a road bike?[/quote]

Oh yeah, I meant 2 cm shorter seat tube. Sorry for any confusion.