Favorite Tire?

gators

I just got some Pro Race 3s, and they’re everything that everyone said they were are more. It’s by far the best clincher tire I’ve ever ridden, as good as any $80 Veloflex or what-have-you.

you use those just for general riding? damn, way baller!

I really want to try the 700x20s.

Good luck finding them - I don’t think they’re available stateside at all. I searched before I made the switch to tubulars on my track bike, since a 23 is too large to clear my fork.

Anyway, why the hell would you want to run 20s on the road, especially if you’re not racing? God, even if you are racing, 20s are a pretty bad choice.

you use those just for general riding? damn, way baller![/quote]

I only do general riding. Out here you can sometimes find them on sale for around $45 so it just seems baller but really not. Other than the ride quality, compared to Rallys they are far more reliable because so far I have only got flats on Evo CXs when the tread has worn thin/squared out. Nothing random. Rallys have flatted on me for no apparent reason.

[quote=“bonechilling”]
Anyway, why the hell would you want to run 20s on the road, especially if you’re not racing? God, even if you are racing, 20s are a pretty bad choice.[/quote]

Just want to give one a try on the front to see how it rides. I ride with a few guys that run tubular 20s on the street.

The only tire I’ve ridden that I have consistently liked is Vittoria Randonneurs. Yes, they ride kind of like ass, but they’re cheap, long wearing, and have good flat protection. Great for commuting.

I’ve yet to find a road clincher I really like.

I have really grown to like round ones, with a hole in the middle, like a skinny donut.

My dad’s custom Davidson from the late 80’s has some old Michelin 700x19mm tires on it that can be inflated to an advertised 145 PSI. Rode the bike around the blocks near my parents’ house in SF and it was fucking ridiculous. You could feel everything in the road. I can’t imagine how they could be comfortable to ride for hours at a time. When I asked my dad about it, he was surprised to hear that I run 23mm tires!

23mm Gatorskins on my Spicer.
Just got a used Schwalbe Stelvio 700x23 that I assume some fixie kid threw away (there were two of them in the pile at the co-op, one almost new, one with 5 or 6 gaping holes in it…). I put it on the newly rebuilt rear wheel of my road bike and am loving it so far, although I’ve only ridden maybe 20 minutes on it riding back from the co-op this evening. Nice feel, and super, super light. If it holds up OK, I’m going to have to order a set of them. I suspect it will not be a terribly durable tire.

EDIT: Maybe it wasn’t Stelvio…I’ll check tomorrow.
EDIT AGAIN: Stelvio HS-376 700x23mm. Fast.

gator skinz jaeger bombs gator skinz jaeger bombs, ffuckin skanks

[quote=“bonechilling”]Good luck finding them - I don’t think they’re available stateside at all. I searched before I made the switch to tubulars on my track bike, since a 23 is too large to clear my fork.

Anyway, why the hell would you want to run 20s on the road, especially if you’re not racing? God, even if you are racing, 20s are a pretty bad choice.[/quote]

I rode 20’s in Seattle exclusively. My commute was downhill all the way and it felt like I could carve the turns a lot harder. When I went back to 23s, I kept feeling like I was going to roll the tire off.

better put a little more glue on those tubulars next time :bear: :bear: :bear:

[quote=“peedtm”][quote=“bonechilling”]Good luck finding them - I don’t think they’re available stateside at all. I searched before I made the switch to tubulars on my track bike, since a 23 is too large to clear my fork.

I rode 20’s in Seattle exclusively. My commute was downhill all the way and it felt like I could carve the turns a lot harder. When I went back to 23s, I kept feeling like I was going to roll the tire off.[/quote]

Really? There’s some spots around where I live that a 23c feels sketchy at speed. The roads around here aren’t exactly amazing.

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”]

Really? There’s some spots around where I live that a 23c feels sketchy at speed. The roads around here aren’t exactly amazing.[/quote]

I bombed from cap hill to 5th&Spring via Broadway to Union to Seneca (Or down Pine and thru the convention center tunnel.) Coming down Seneca felt like I was skipping along only making contact like half the time. I only pinch flatted once; at 6th braking hard thru a pot hole.

[quote=“peedtm”][quote=“bonechilling”]Good luck finding them - I don’t think they’re available stateside at all. I searched before I made the switch to tubulars on my track bike, since a 23 is too large to clear my fork.

I rode 20’s in Seattle exclusively. My commute was downhill all the way and it felt like I could carve the turns a lot harder. When I went back to 23s, I kept feeling like I was going to roll the tire off.[/quote]
You crazy, motherfucker!

I guess I can see the appeal of 19 or 20mm tires, even on the road, but it seems like you would have to pick lines, even on open road, to find smooth pavement all the time. What sent you back to 23s?

[quote=“deadforkinglast”]
You crazy, motherfucker!

I guess I can see the appeal of 19 or 20mm tires, even on the road, but it seems like you would have to pick lines, even on open road, to find smooth pavement all the time. What sent you back to 23s?[/quote]

Winter in Idaho. I got some Pro Grips and those only come in 23 as far as I can tell. I went back to 20’s in the summer and kept getting pinch flats due to all the gravel here (sides of the roads here are like those in developing countries.) so now it’s 23 almost always. I can’t go bigger on my roadie so I don’t buy em. (There’s a demotion process, and the newest always start on that one.)

Specialized T-t-t-t-t-turbo