Feeling Like Crap After Long Ride

I feel like shit after long rides.* Whenever I do around 40miles or more i am almost always tired – physically and mentally – and have a headache for the rest of the day.

Am I not drinking enough during the ride? Not drinking enough afterward? Not eating enough after? It’s usually worse when I don’t add anything to my water during the ride. Does that mean it’s a lack of electrolytes? Is it because I don’t make it a point to eat carbs the night before? Is it because I just suck?

I’m planning on a ride around Lake Michigan in August and we’ll have to average about 65mi/day for the 20 days to do our planned route. Rest days will mean we’ll have to average more on actual riding days, and while we’ll be stopping for lunch etc I’m worried I won’t be able to do it day after day.

*long for me

how long have you been doing long rides? maybe you just haven’t physically adapted yet.

and just be sure to both drink and eat during your ride.

Fuck that’s a long ride.
Sounds super fun though.
A friend of mine is loading up and xtracycle plus another kid with a tailer to haul his stuff form Minneapolis to Madison for college.

The ‘how long’ question is hard to answer. Over the winter my training rides were typically 35-45 miles at the foot of the catskills. But until recently I hadn’t done any distance riding multiple days a week since then.

So you may be right about not being adapted. Plus I’ve been kicking my own ass on the rides and trying to stay at 18mph+ regardless of how I feel. Which is really not the best way to get back into riding.

[quote=“SteveSentMe”]
So you may be right about not being adapted. Plus I’ve been kicking my own ass on the rides and trying to stay at 18mph+ regardless of how I feel. Which is really not the best way to get back into riding.[/quote]

Definitely not.

“It doesn’t get easier; you just get faster.”

It sounds like you’re just not adapted to riding long distances yet. Since you already know you need to drink lots of fluids and eat well during the ride, the only advice I can give you is to spend more time in the saddle. If 40 miles is hard, then do 60 next time. After you do 60, then do 80. This is the only way that you will become a better cyclist and be able to knock off 60 miles a day without destroying yourself.

Also, keeping yourself at 18mph for the whole ride isn’t necessarily the best way to train, even if you don’t consider yourself “in training.” Google “intervals,” and practice those during your 40 mile rides. Doing this will be far more effective than trying to keep up a constant speed.

lots of water dude. LOTS. i don’t know much about adding stuff to the water since i never do, but if i’m going to be riding more than 30 or so miles, i drink a water bottle before i leave, and take two with me.

Keep working at it, I think that getting in basic cycling shape isn’t rocket science. Just eat enough peanut butter and banana sandwiches, drink enough water, take it easier if you are hurting and do more long rides. i used to agree with jim there ^^ but then i got tired of having to piss every 45 minutes :bear:

not everyone lives in texas… and i’ve experienced the same thing (headaches) after races - i think it is just b/c i push myself really hard - also sometimes i don’t get many chances to drink water during a race (too busy suffering). i think it can be a combo on lack of electrolytes/water plus just plain intense exertion.

Apparently stretching helps. I’ve been doing it now and my girlfriend calls it “rolling around and shit” because all I do is get into bed and start attempting to stretch while rolling around and getting in her way in bed at which point she goes “oh so I see you decided to roll around and shit”. Makes me feel better when I’m riding.

Also WATER.

it means you’re a vegan.

take some vitamins- steak capsules.

but yeah, drink a lot before you leave, try spinning instead of mashing. did you feel that way after the races this spring?

i find that i tire myself out more riding alone because i don’t have anyone to sort of keep me to an average speed. i tend to push too hard from the start.

headache is indicative of not enough water and not enough food stuffs.

trying sportlegs or something like that might make a difference too. i can mail you a few, but i don;t know if sending unmarked capsules of white powder through usps is the best idea.

Drink before your thirsty. If you wait till you thirst its already to late and you’ll never catch up. Stay hydrated.

raise your bars.

eat some bars and ask for a raise.

[quote=“bward1028”]but yeah, drink a lot before you leave, try spinning instead of mashing. did you feel that way after the races this spring?

i find that i tire myself out more riding alone because i don’t have anyone to sort of keep me to an average speed. i tend to push too hard from the start.

headache is indicative of not enough water and not enough food stuffs.

trying sportlegs or something like that might make a difference too. i can mail you a few, but i don;t know if sending unmarked capsules of white powder through usps is the best idea.[/quote]

I don’t remember feeling like this after the races. I imagine that was a combination of being in better shape and, as you said, being more or less paced by others. On these rides lately I’ve been pushing myself from the beginning and for nearly the whole time. It’s difficult not to. But I think my computer is a big part of it, and if I get rid of it (or put it on the underside of my stem) then I’ll judge my riding based on how I feel and not an arbitrary speed.

Considering my diet I find it hard to believe I get enough calories as it is, so I guess I’m really not that surprised that I feel like shit after burning an extra 2000.

Eat steak and bacon before the ride.

You guys are forgetting the cigarettes. I smoke a few before each ride. Opens yer shit up.

more steak and cigs suggestions for the vegan!

Sounds like you are not eating and drinking enough during the ride.