First triathlon!

Damit jes! Now see what you’ve done? Next thing you know we’ll all be getting into vintage 650c tri bikes with lemond aero bars.

There had to be a next big thing…

the swim is all about just relaxing and finishing
and just dont go too fast

Tris are the new cyclocross.

Swimming in open water is a whole different experience than swimming in a pool. It takes some actual training.

naw i had never swam in really deep open water
before my first tri
i did most of my swimming in barton springs or deep eddy

if swimming in the ocean then yes you better train for that shit

there is a mental thing to get over on open water swims
that’s why you have to relax

also there are people out there in rafts to save you
you aren’t gonna drown

also seawater makes you more buoyant. even sinkers should be able to float in seawater. add a wetsuit and it should go pretty easy.

the more i think about this the more i like it. clip on aero bars, spin a 6 speed onto my trispoke and run sharkys zipp up front.

gonna need a sleeveless mesh shirt, some big ass 80’s uvex shades and and aero hamlet though

[quote=white folks]also
the more i think about this the more i like it. clip on aero bars, spin a 6 speed onto my trispoke and run sharkys zipp up front.

I already have a a few sleeveless mesh shirts, some big ass 80’s uvex shades and and aero hamlet[/quote]

Man, anyone remember that most sigable quote from EuroJosh about tris?

A

A bunch of tris require you to wear wetsuits for safety reasons esp in colder waters or longer swims. It’s a totally different wayof swimming

I, for one, will not be getting in on this triathlon fad.

I wi be getting out of it ASAP, unless I become unexpectedly addicted. Is this a good time to plug my fundraising?

http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/nbhtri10/mwilsey

A bunch of tris require you to wear wetsuits for safety reasons esp in colder waters or longer swims. It’s a totally different wayof swimming[/quote]

There’s an Alcatraz swim every September with a class for folks in wetsuits and folks without. I want to do the swim, not sure if I want to wear a wetsuit or not.

+1

ive got a heap of respect now for the guys doing half and full ironmans, but i too won’t be getting in on it

@purplebike: you seemed to have enjoyed it even with all of the suffering. Keep us posted for the future will ya?

Fantastic job by the way! Good work!

Congrats! If I can manage to keep my mouth closed while swimming I might attempt a tri but until then I’ll stick with duathlons.

Signed up a couple of months ago to do a sprint distance tri in June because a) I’ve never done one and b) it looks chaotic and fun. Don’t enjoy running, though, and at this point I’m just looking forward to getting it over with so I can focus on cycling again. Then again, swimming on a regular basis has been great, so I’ll probably keep that up at least minimally.

??