fixed/ss touring

having just built up my rob roy, i had the intentions of touring the hell out of it this summer

does anyone actually tour fixed/single?

i’m planning on riding from oakland - seattle to see a mariners/a’s game. then possible go to canada after not too sure…

lol. Hope you like hitchhiking.

having toured geared, i think doing it single/fixed would suck.

i’ve heard nothing but horror stories of going north. nothing but praise when going south.

I toured a little bit fixed last november and it was one of the main influencing factors of me putting Rival on the xcheck.

what horror stories going north?

it was an idea, because i’ve been doing 50+ mile days around here (san luis obispo) when i have the time (once/twice a week) on it and i get back and it wasn’t too bad.
these i’ve been 46-18 fixed but then i was thinking how the hills aren’t terrible around here… and on those rides i’ve been thinking how if i just do around 60-80miles (not much more than i have been doing) that it could be done in 2 weeks

and that got me thinking if people actually tour fixed or single…
i’ll probably end up riding it geared… but was curious if people have done it, and if the route is commonly done or not…

Get a Nexus or something if you want to use that bike.

Do this:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/san-luis-obispo/381325746

It’s only 2500’ of ascent with nothing over 7%. Once complete, come back, post your average speed and then I feel like we can legitimately discuss you touring from Oakland to Seattle.

for sure herr halbritt

i’ll attempt it fixed when it’s not 97 degrees, with a midterm and a speech tomorrow

A ride report will be required. Take photos. I will applaud your effort once completed.

Get an Alfine disc brake 8 speed, then a bolt-on cog for the disc brake side.

Would that work? I don’t see why not but I could be missing something.

get the sram tornado hub that goes from fixed to ss at the turn of a screwdriver. or do a dingle cog with a double crank.

Would that work? I don’t see why not but I could be missing something.[/quote]

Do you mean as a flip-flop hub?

damn rusty. you’re killing it with the coaster brakes

Do you mean as a flip-flop hub?[/quote]
yeah.

Do you mean as a flip-flop hub?[/quote]
yeah.[/quote]
i don’t know if that would really work to well. you’d have extra cables sitting on the frame once you flip the wheel. then imagine the hassle of flipping the wheel from one to another. disconnecting the shifter, etc.

what about that sturmey archer 3spd fixed hub?

don’t tour fixed.

do come to canada.