Fixie 101 - Convert drop handlebars into bullhorns

"Convert drop handlebars into bullhorns
By parkr on Thursday, May 22 2008.

Bullhorns are a popular addition to any bike. They confer a clean, sleek look and a comfortable riding position, offering improved visibility in traffic. Whilst many different styles exist on the market, this article will describe how to convert an existing pair of “drop”, or road handlebars into bullhorn bars. The technique is known as chop-and-flop.
Tools required
You will need…

An existing pair of steel or aluminium handlebars - do not attempt this method with carbon bars
A pencil or marker
Basic bike tools
A hand pipecutter and/or hacksaw from any hardware store

1. Remove the handlebars from the bike

You should remove any handlebar tape, end-plugs or grips. These should be retained if you wish to reuse them, or discarded otherwise. Then remove any brake levers, shifters and other attachments from the handlebars. Basic tools will be required.

Loosen the handlebar clamp and slide the handlebars out from the stem. If the handlebar clamp can be removed completely, this will ease removal. Check the handlebars thoroughly for any signs of damage or corrosion. Seek advice from your local bike shop if you are in any doubt.

2. Cut the handlebars to length using the pipecutter

Turn the bars over. You will use the pipecutter to cut the bars to length. It was found that pipecutters give a superior cut, but a hacksaw can be used instead. Mark one side of the bars to the appropriate length depending on your desired hand position. Remember the maxim: measure twice, cut once!

Smoothly tighten the cutting wheel on the bar until it begins to bite. Now rotate the cutter around, lightly scoring the metal. If the cutter will not rotate fully because it clashes against the bar, you may need to do a pre-cut using the hacksaw or just use the hacksaw instead. Continue to rotate the cutter, gradually tightening the wheel until the cut is made.

Once the cut is made, take the offcut and use it to mark off the opposite side. Repeat the cut on that side too.

Debur both ends, to remove any sharp edges. This can be done using a file, or tool supplied with the pipe cutter.

3. Reinstall your new bullhorn bars

Reinstall your new bars on the bike. Check the hand position is comfortable and adjust the angle if necessary. Reinstall the brakes and add handlebar tape to taste.

Comments
Fri, 05/08/2009 - 13:36 — guest
Great looking bars. I would

Great looking bars. I would suggest in the future getting a time trial brake instead. You just pop in into the end of the handlebar. They work great.

I agree with the numbness issue, but I like the stiff feel of the bars. And on a fixie I’m not going far enough to do too much damage.

Just for anyone curious here is a video on how to do the chop and flop method with a pipe cutter:
http://tcfixie.squarespace.com/videos/2009/5/8/how-to-make-bullhorn-hand

Thanks for the article.

Wed, 05/13/2009 - 14:41 — guest
Whoops that link is broken!

Whoops that link is broken! Here’s the new one:
http://tcfixie.com/video/2009/5/13/how-to-make-bullhorn-handlebars.html

Thu, 04/09/2009 - 13:40 — DrJoeBuffalo
I did this job recently.

I did this job recently. Very easy actually. Only thing I didn’t like was that I lost some width - my formerly 40 mm bars ended up as 38’s. Next time I will look for a pair of 42s to chop and flop

Mon, 04/06/2009 - 05:56 — guest
…i have bullhorns on my

…i have bullhorns on my fixed and love them.

http://www.RCVWphoto.com

Sat, 06/07/2008 - 04:29 — parkr
One thing I forgot to

One thing I forgot to mention, is that you can gel inserts to go underneath the handlebar tape. I don’t know if they are a gimmick, but these bars give me numb fingers after longer rides and I kinda wish I got some now.

Wed, 06/11/2008 - 20:19 — tinman
has anyone tried the gel

has anyone tried the gel inserts?

Mon, 08/18/2008 - 23:59 — guest
The gel is great. I used

The gel is great. I used fi’zi:k gel tape and insert on my road bikes. I cut my own bull horns for my new Fixed, and on the advice from another forum, I used an old inner tube under the tape and it also feels great
NewbieFixie

* reply"

Fuck. ridefixedgear.com ughs

Wow! So cool. I wish this was around 5 years ago when i cut my first pair. It might have saved me the 5 min it took to figure it out on my own.

sweet thread

epic

Hot damn. I am going to do this.*

*Danny is going to do it for me.

I used an angle grinder. I love overdoing things. This was back when I was a drunken dumbass, so that made things even more entertaining. I’m also pretty sure I did it in my living room.

I did my first with a hacksaw… OHH DARN, could have saved 10 minutes of hackin and had even bars!

great thread would read again

I did it wrong?

now cut 2-3 inches off the fork blades and you’ll be good

[quote=EivlEvo]I did it wrong?

[/quote]
i love this pic so much

Iranian womens Nike shoes on sale President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, in a Puma sneakers separate interview with Amanpour, flatly miu miu pumps rejected the suggestion that Adidas womens basketball shoes his regime is becoming militarized. cartier replica jewelry “Don’t you think that Ms. wholesale Jordans shoes Clinton should think a little Nike golf shoes for men before she makes statements of Air Jordan shoes for sale such nature? I think Adidas women shoes Ms. Clinton is a very miumiu shoes respected woman but she should tiffani & co really gather more correct information Puma womens golf shoes to base her statements on longines conquest chronograph accurate information,” he said.
Ahmadinejad Adidas running shoes sat down for the exclusive new Nike soccer shoes wide-ranging interview with Amanpour on Adidas soccer turf shoes Saturday evening, shortly after arriving Adidas womens basketball shoes in New York for rolex tudor watches this week’s United Nations General couples rings Assembly meetings.