Gear Recommendations (old)

I currently have access to none bro deals and have been looking for winter shoes
it snows here guys
SNOW

PM me bro

I keep forgetting to pick up some cleats for these guys. Excited to try them this fall/winter.
Kinda bummed there isn’t buckles and I need to adjust to slow lace-up life but I will survive.
Will review soon.

Lace up means easier to install gaiters so there’s that

I’m guessing slow lace life is better than slow “put on five layers of footwear” life

as for shoe covers, the quality on my Castelli neoprene is way worse than I expected, but they haven’t fallen off my feet yet so I’m still using them. I like the Velcro since nobody ever makes their zipper closures big enough for my powr ankles

DQ: recommend me winter shoes for wide feets (“high volume” is what they’re calling it now?). I could get by with socks + MTB shoes + winter booties to 5* or so, but mornings are pretty regularly colder than that and I don’t want to do boots + platforms anymore if I can avoid it.

alternatively: recommendations for better winter socks than my bongrater wool whatevers

Northwave makes a winter shoe and their fit is pretty “high volume” especially in the toe box.

i just wear winter boots with flat pedals

is that bad?

Every shoe cover I’ve used has lasted 2 months at most, but I’ve never spent more than $40. Nowadays I just HTFU on my way into work and change my socks when I get there. It doesn’t get that cold here.

[quote=joy of tarcking]i just wear winter boots with flat pedals

is that bad?[/quote]

I drool over fancy winter shoes but this is my plan as well. Worked pretty okay last year.

QFT

In awesome beautiful Pittsburgh winters I never even looked at overshoes. For commuting or mountain biking it’s winter shoes or GTFO. Maybe too bulky for fast road-type riding but that’s not my jam anyway.

I have a pair of the Mavic boots and they are super warm (fat sock is good down to about zero) and priced competitively. Just be sure to try them on with big socks. My xc Mavic shoes are 45 and the boots are 48.

[quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]

DQ: recommend me winter shoes for wide feets [/quote]

Look into Vittoria. They do three widths, two volumes, and will match any upper to any sole in the lineup if you ask nicely. They have a winter boot too, though I’ve not tried it.

QFT

In awesome beautiful Pittsburgh winters I never even looked at overshoes. For commuting or mountain biking it’s winter shoes or GTFO. Maybe too bulky for fast road-type riding but that’s not my jam anyway.

I have a pair of the Mavic boots and they are super warm (fat sock is good down to about zero) and priced competitively. Just be sure to try them on with big socks. My xc Mavic shoes are 45 and the boots are 48.[/quote]

I’m potentially interested in winter shoes, but wonder if anyone has used them for road riding/training? That’s what I need something for - my long, often wet winter training rides, so boots and flat pedals, or mtb shoes won’t do it.

that would be my only use too ^

the northwave winter road shoes are…tempting

QFT

I have a pair of the Mavic boots and they are super warm (fat sock is good down to about zero) and priced competitively. Just be sure to try them on with big socks. My xc Mavic shoes are 45 and the boots are 48.[/quote]

I’m potentially interested in winter shoes, but wonder if anyone has used them for road riding/training? That’s what I need something for - my long, often wet winter training rides, so boots and flat pedals, or mtb shoes won’t do it.[/quote]

Yes. I pretty much wear my Northwaves from Dec to April. I’m not training, but I spend plenty of 10+ hour days in the saddle in <40 degrees with rain as well as sub-zero weather. They have a standard 3-bolt cleat attachment.

Whatever you do don’t get SIDI “winter” boots. They are completely ineffective in keeping out water/keeping your feet reasonably warm. I have a virtually new set sitting in the closet that I only wore a few times because they suck.

I’m just gonna leave this here

Anybody tried the Shimano cold/wet weather shoes - SH-MW81?

Aren’t those two-bolt only?

Thanks! Those Vittorias look good, as do those Northwaves. Might hold off a year, since for now, I can get shopbro deal on shoe covers, but not on either of those brands of shoes, I don’t think. They’re definitely in my consciousness now, though.

what about this guy? http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/cycling-shoes/alpineduro.html

Yeah I ride two-bolt errywhere so that’s why I’m interested in those. And brodeal pricing.