Gear Recommendations (old)

There’s corn chips out there with wheat in em, but I get your point.

I thought of that after posting, but then I also figured there might maybe be a chain gauge out there that isn’t portable.

There was a package of paper plates in my office once that advertised that the plates were gluten free.

We had a huge discussion in the office on Friday about Americans and their fascination with paper plates.

By discussion, I mean all the Euros asking me (the only American) why we (Americans) insist on using paper plates for meals when you are anyplace you could reasonably clean real dishes.

[quote=dotMR]
By discussion, I mean all the Euros asking me (the only American) why we (Americans) insist on using paper plates for meals when you are anyplace you could reasonably clean real dishes.[/quote]

too expensive to hire labor. less expensive to throw it in the trash.

excellent for cookouts or events where you’re serving 10+ in a park shelter or community space, and there’s no catering company - otherwise someone has to bring dishes for service and collect and wash them afterward. If you use compostable plates, a compost bin can be assigned for serving ware and food scraps together.

Also good for occasional events at home that are larger than the service you own, rather than buying and storing service for 20 that gets used once or twice a year. Especially without a dishwasher.

[quote=Rusty Piton]I have never noticed this phenomenon.
Probably because I just can’t ride fast enough.[/quote]
even getting blasted in the Windy City?

and this is how we found out rudy never actually rides his bike

Maybe it just doesn’t bother me amidst all the other noise.

I’ve never noticed strap noise or jitter. I also have a luscious beard so it probably buffers it.

It isn’t strap noise as much as just wind as you ride into it. If you think you don’t suffer from it, turn your head 90* and notice how much quieter it gets. They look stupid af, but I bet they work well. A couple in town had them. Hard to look past them, as they look so silly.

thats not from straps but just how ears work. I think it’s called ear noise.

you’d be surprised just how quiet it is without a helmet

and lots of helmets are extra-noisy

I’m real happy about the aero road helmet craze just because it gave them a reason to be quieter

I’ve always had bad turbulence noise, irrespective of helmet or glasses. Just bad head/ear shape I guess. The muppet-pelt sideburns do help, if the straps are adjusted to put them close in…

TC: I don’t wear a helmet unless I’m kitted up and even then it’s just so I don’t look like an asshole. Basically I wear a helmet less than like 10 times a year.

On the rare occasion that I shave the beard off, I always notice a lot more ear-whistling at all speeds when riding a bike. Not sure I’d get the fake sideburns still but I believe they work.

So I’ve been wearing the Teva bike-lifestyle shoes to ride to work every since they went on closeout, and now they have dried up and I’ve about destroyed all the ones I have. Since I need some sort of new sneakers anyway, what else to people like for commuting? I was leaning towards some Vans but have no clue if any of them are better or worse for biking. Was also looking at those 5.10 Freeriders on sale on backcountry but their marketing-speak makes me wonder if the soles wear out fast if you actually walk on them.

Dzr’s?

Take what I say with a grain of salt because it is not first-hand experience, only what I’ve heard from others.

DZR’s apparently have a terrible build quality. My best friend worked at a shop that stocked them and they very regularly had returns for soles delaminating. And other general build quality issues like seams ripping and eyelets popping out.

I would suggest 5.10 as the pair I have are flawless months after daily wear.

[quote=Rusty Piton]I have never noticed this phenomenon.
Probably because I just can’t ride fast enough.[/quote]

my man

5.10 Freeriders, I Heartily Endorse This Event Or Product