Get me back into riding my bike, please

Tbh I think I’m going to get a weed vape and make biking funner

1 Like

I’m super in this boat, JP. I’ve been barely riding my bikes for the last couple of years with a combination of periodic physical annoyances (back pain, skin issues) and the inertia of just not riding that gets hard to overcome.

I think I’m also just lacking bike friends in my day to day life.

All that plus the fact that bike riding and music playing pretty much compete for the same after-work time means that I’ve ended up riding a lot less than I would like.

Every time I do get out on the bike, I have fun, but it’s hard to get myself to actually get out the door. And holy shit has it been hard to get myself to put the MTB on the car and drive out of town.

1 Like

I may be the outlier for stuff like that, I was really only “social” when racing. Did some team rides, but due to various personal factors I found the social part the hardest, and what least drew me to cycling. I’m not much help to you there!

Racing is really the only time I’m social. I’d say 95% of my time on the bike ovet the course of the year is solo.

Family, work, and other obligations usually mean I’m riding really early, when none of my riding buddies want to get up, or in the evenings in the pain cave.

Sometimes, pure compulsion is the only reason I ride. Mentally, it’s unhealthy. But, there are worse things I could be doing.

It me.

I haven’t rode bike for any length of time since 2014. Used to hike every day to preserve my fitness, but I’ve had some chronic pain issues in my hip that make that troubling.

Recently I started getting up around 04:30 and riding for a couple hours before making breakfast and taking the kid to school. Seems like it’s not exacerbating the hip problem, which is really, really exciting.

Not that I have any expectation that getting up 04:30 and riding solo in the dark for a couple of hours to be appealing to anyone else but me.

2 Likes

4:30am is a pretty great time of day to enjoy the world by bike. I have fond memories of being a paperboy and feeling like I had the whole neighborhood to myself when riding my rounds.
As an adult I still really enjoy those quiet solitary moments after midnight when I stay out late or get up early for Randonneuring rides.

3 Likes

I’m almost at this point. I can wake up early and be at work early but I really like drinking bourbon until 8pm and sleeping until my wife’s alarm goes off.

1 Like

it me but drinking beer until 2am and sleeping through sup’s alarm

1 Like

I just started being able to bike commute and it’s been awesome. Also loving not having to wake up before 4am to get to work on time. Haven’t sucked it up and ridden when it’s wet out yet mostly because I just use those days to drive and do grocery runs and other errands that would just take longer. Doesn’t help that none of my old commuter type riding clothes don’t fit or I can’t find them. Not into riding in spandex for a 4 mile commute. Get me into wet commuting again

I’ve come to a point where I really enjoy solo riding. My fitness level yoyo’s a lot and last week I was riding with a group of people. Constantly dropped. I just gave up and plugged in headphones and rode solo in the back.

I bought the firetruck and got a license for the same reason

now I’m giggling about the potential for you to learn to drive in it too

4 Likes

Fred coming through with the practical solutions.

1 Like

i’m hoping that selling two of my bikes will get me into riding again

3 Likes

I’m hoping JP is learning to drive in something brown with a turbo

2 Likes

I’m thinking that selling all my bikes might be the thing that gets me back into it

1 Like

Doug and I have previously determined that he is not the right person to teach me to drive. A friend had offered, but he’s been pretty busy, though I should probably reach back out and set something up.

Also, I should have mentioned earlier, I’m still commuting, so I am riding around 15 miles a day. It’s not much, but it’s something, at least.

My coworker was trying to convince me to try and challenge myself to do something like ride every day in October, and I just might…

4 Likes

Hey Jordan, for 90% of people who bike commute, 15 miles a day is a lot.

8 Likes

It me. My commute is that early, and if I do a solo weekend ride I’m up at about 4. It’s the best time to be on the road shartmo.

1 Like

I’m an early riser and like this idea, but I also don’t know that I’d feel very safe, unfortunately.

The worst accidents I’ve ever seen were on my 4am 20 mile commute on i5