Get me into a crappy hybrid bike

I’ve been trying to get my girlfriend to ride with me, in fact I built her a very nice 650B randonneur-like bike from spare parts, complete with battery light and rack. Unfortunately she’s terrified to ride it because of the “high” top tube and she wants to be able to put her feet on the ground when she’s riding.

Gave up on getting her a real bike, but since I’m on the bike 20 hours a week this time of year it would be nice to take her along on recovery rides once in a while. She tried a cheap hybrid something or other on vacation and she was okay on that bike.

So anyone, especially bike shop employees, have suggestions? I know nothing about the genre. I don’t want to spend a lot because I’m hoping after some practice she’ll be more comfortable on the rando and will be able to go with me on longer rides. But if it is somewhat expensive but an easy resell I’d consider it.

I’d say craigslist something, but if you’re in NYC that craigslist is a shitshow.

My wife co-habitant has a Bianchi Milano step through in addition to her “real” bikes. I’ve ridden it (long ass seatpost). It’s pretty awesome for what it is.

Would make more sense to get something like a Mixte off craigslist ATMO. They were actually considered legitimate bikes at the time unlike a lot of the shit show hybrids getting pumped out these days

[quote=tarckeemoon]I’d say craigslist something, but if you’re in NYC that craigslist is a shitshow.

My wife has a Bianchi Milano step through in addition to her “real” bikes. I’ve ridden it (long ass seatpost). It’s pretty awesome for what it is.[/quote]

a friend of mine has one and it really is pretty sweet.

you want a shock or no shock? my shop has like 8 options for hybrids, flat bar road-ish to light trails-ish things that don’t do anything particularly well… and it’s too confusing.

we sell Specialized, so this

or this

personally, the shocks are stupid. the basic flat bar road bike is not that much better than the next model up that’s $200 more. carbon fork and 8 speed as opposed to 7. these things don’t mean a lot to someone who’s not that into bikes.

don’t buy an old mixte off CL for someone who just wants a simple modern bike.

go to a shop you like, tell them your budget and riding, buy whatever they recommend. every company has something in this segment, it’s what most adults buy.

I can’t find the step-through MIlano.

A mixte would be fine but as Tarckeemoon says, Craigslist in NYC is a shitshow, plus I don’t buy stolen bikes.

It has to have grip shifters or shifting that doesn’t require her to take her hands off the bars.

Obviously I’m going to take her to the bike shop and let her pick, but I just wanted to know where to start.

globe mixte? I remember when they were coming out and we were doing some product design for them we got to use the bikes whenever the fuck we wanted. specialized brought us a shit ton of bikes and essentially said ’ go fuck them up. do whatever’. Only downside is price. I think they’re around 800.

I’d say find an older mixte on craigs and have her ride that. You can find an abused one for 60 or so if lucky, but most I see go for 120 to 150, but I’m also in hipster hell where every old road bike turns into a piece of shit fixte. I was in the same situation as you , OP, but pretty much convince/forced the girl to understand that I would not let her slam the seat post so that she could sit at a light, flat footed and still on the saddle. Same with the cheater levers.

She now rides every day to work and enjoys the crap out of it and sees why I wouldn’t slam the seatpost or put the crappy/gummy hooded diacompe brake levers back on.

[quote=Rich]Would make more sense to get something like a Mixte off craigslist ATMO. They were actually considered legitimate bikes at the time unlike a lot of the shit show hybrids getting pumped out these days[/quote] If she’s going to ride longer than 5 miles, I’d go for a hybrid. About 9 years ago I bought a crappy $300 hybrid and I rode the shit out of it until it became clear that I ought to buy a road bike. A few years later I bought a really squirrely but cool looking 70s Raleigh mixte and if I bought that bike first, I don’t think I would have ever really gotten into cycling. Maybe it’s just my specific mixte, but I find it to be rather unwieldy to ride and thus only good for short distances. So that’s my vote - get a hybrid. Not sure what’s “good” in the world of hybrids though.

Jamis coda is a good hybrid for sub-$500. It looks fine, is steel (frame/fork) and rides really nicely. If she wants more of a feet on the ground kind of thing, maybe try her on an Electra townie? Those are kind of goofy, but I’ve never been on a bike that was more comfortable at under 10 mph. Those are around $400.

tc: i thought this was my thread but renamed

Thanks everyone. I’m researching online but I believe my eyes have started to bleed. I’d love to get her an old Mixte but I don’t think it’s going to help the problem; if I size it properly she won’t be able to get a foot on the ground while seated.

The Electra townie is especially hideous, sadly though I think that’s the one she’ll go for. I really like the Jamis, all things considered.

Edit: The Tecino 7D doesn’t look too bad all things considered, and apparently it’s designed so the rider can put their feet down while seated. Are Electras POSes? It’s like $700 but I bet it would be easy to resell around here.

bikesdirect has some really decent looking cheapy bikes

girlfriend likes the pretty low end khs urban-x she bought like 4 years ago. slick 26s, fenders, and rack.

Cannondale quick?

If you find a shop where she can test ride make sure to work some sort of hill in. They climb like a fucking rock, even slowly. It’s painfully obvious their ideal use is for rental fleets located on beachfront boardwalks/MUTs that are completely flat.

I think something like that first Specialized above would be the best option, something that you can eventually raise the seat to adequate height once she gets the leg over the frame routine down and is comfortable only putting one foot down at stops.

oh, gf’s sister liked the scattante roma a lot, don’t know if they make it anymore though

Get a tandem.

My gf loves it (and I do, too). Way better than riding seperate bikes. All of her concerns can be negated: No need to worry about falling behind or being a bad cyclist/crashing, she can work at her own level of exertion and so can you, it’s easy to hear each other so you can actually have conversations. My gf often calls her friends for a chat while we’re riding along. They’re a blast.

Probs best to hire one first to find out if you like 'em. But they get a big thumbs up from me.

This is impossible with anything other steeper a 65* seattube (a la Electra townie). And, as mentioned above, fuck those bikes for anything other than beach boardwalks.

By the sounds of it the Bianchi Milano step through’s out but I had a girlfriend that loved hers. I thought it was pretty cool too.

Husband was terrified of riding. He got a $200 electra cruiser and loves the fuck out of it. I think that after a while, he’ll move on to something a bit less ridiculous, but in the meantime, I’m happy to have him have a bike so we can ride to get breakfast or whatever.