get me into a ghetto bag support

ideally i need this:

$145. waaay the fuck out of my budget.

so there’s this:

and these

from VO but that’s over $70

this Nitto thing from Riv looks awesome but $86

what the shit… all these things cost as much as a fucking bag.

so I was thinking something like this $20 Minoura bottle holder thing and some L-shaped shelf brackets from a hardware store

ideally I’d incorporate something like that Nitto quick-release one

anybody have any ideas? is there a way to use a stem like the top one? or other stuff that attaches to seatpost/seatrails area? doezs some other place sell a cheap version of this that I don’t know about?

thanks, tarck!

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/saddlebag_support.asp

Bagman support.

I have a knock off I got from Surfimp. I may not end up using it, but I’m not sure right now, so that doesn’t do you much good.

Otherwise, go for a Hupe from Riv. I got one of those too and it rules.

that minoura is weak as fuck. good for copying hardware and design, i guess, but i would avoid using any of its actual parts. it gave me plenty of problems just holding 40oz of watter.

yeah, I wrecked my minoura water holder with water inside of a month. F that.

The riv silver hupe is pretty nice, and yet kind of ‘ghetto’ compared to something with actually clamps (http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/silver-hupe/20-136 and $34).

okay, guys, I think I’m fairly sold on the bagman. I still kinda feel like I’m paying $50 for a glorified bottle cage tho.

Bagmen are $28 at Wiggle - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/s/cycle/7/?Wd=bagman

stock level = 0 on all models.

scheelzer, do you susscribe to the ibob list?
i’m fairly certain some diy bag supports have been posted there recently, but i don’t really have it in me to search for it.
or just post a question asking for diy bag supports- i’m sure there are people out there who have come up with a solution

in my epxerience looking at diy stuff like this- most are on the jankier side-work fine but definitely on the ugly stick side.

[quote=biekrider]
in my epxerience looking at diy stuff like this- most are on the jankier side-work fine but definitely on the ugly stick side.[/quote]

lol wut

jesus

Are you sure you really need a support? I thought I did, because that’s what the internets said, but after trying a few, I found I didn’t really like having the bag stuck out so far back there, and that having it attached as intended (with lower strap around seatpost) was fine. And by “fine”, I mean “ride with a stuffed saddlebag for 188mi over 15hrs and not have it bother me at all.”

Just something to consider…

[quote=surfimp]Are you sure you really need a support? I thought I did, because that’s what the internets said, but after trying a few, I found I didn’t really like having the bag stuck out so far back there, and that having it attached as intended (with lower strap around seatpost) was fine. And by “fine”, I mean “ride with a stuffed saddlebag for 188mi over 15hrs and not have it bother me at all.”

Just something to consider…

[/quote]
Completely correct.

But I’m going to try to come up with a QR saddlebag thing like that expensive ass Nitto one that Riv sells. Will report back with pics when I do.

Just keep rubbing it in, buddy.

surfimp = badass

I use what halbritt suggested and it works out pretty good.
No rubbing and the QR makes it easy to take the bag off.

shit, cos I really wanted the QR one, and now I’m convinced.

deadforking, what are you goinna fab the fork-end-ish part out of? I couldn’t think of any part I already have that’s like that.

surf, I got a berthoud that takes the first rack, off ebay. It doesn’t have the strap that goes around the seatpost; needs some kinda support.

biek, I don’t subscribe to iBob. used to maybe? i dunno, the format is annoying. I wish it was just a forum instead of a million posts about fender install.

I might head out to the barn today and see if I can hack up a Pfletcher into anything that would work.

Stem to seatpost, mount bullhorns in stem?

Just keep rubbing it in, buddy.[/quote]
But that was the point - there wasn’t any rubbing! :bear:

It’s the last time. Hopefully in a few weeks I can be bragging about finishing the 400k :wink:

bullhorns maybe too wide, but I like this direction of thinking!

maybe flat bars chopped with mtn bar-ends attached?

I’m gonna try to rig up something with: suicide levers + centerpull brake mounting plate + seatpost reflector mount
edit:

the steel reflector mount I have is a 26 size and I can’t get it to go on a 27.2 post. I’ll have to go to the lbs and dig around a little… but it seems like this might work

nice work mcguyver