get me into cagro bikes

Yeah, first time I tried to ride a Bullitt I had to stop about 5 times in the first block of riding. After about 10 blocks I finally started to feel a bit more confident. Once I hit the motor accelerator it steered like a dream! Not sure if front loaders like this are optimized for more stability at speed.

They’re typically optimized for stability and steering feel at low speed, where they spend 90% of their time. Once you forget how to ride your usual bike they’re fine, though the cetma will never be good. At high speed you get the caster effect and your usual bike handling instincts are suddenly accurate for how the bike works.

Bullits steer better with a bit of load up front and at 8-12mph. I personally never had a problem steering them, took maybe a block before I was confident. But I’m definitely the exception to the rule. I personally think they handle better than omniums but I’m apparently the only person on the planet that thinks so.

and fuck the cetma. That thing steers like a dead fish and I don’t even know what that means.

Bullits steer better with a bit of load up front and at 8-12mph. I personally never had a problem steering them, took maybe a block before I was confident. But I’m definitely the exception to the rule. I personally think they handle better than omniums but I’m apparently the only person on the planet that thinks so.

and fuck the cetma. That thing steers like a dead fish and I don’t even know what that means.

I’ve read enough bullit and other front loading linked steering cargo bike reviews in the past week to feel pretty good that I just need an hour on one and I’ll be fine. Selling tons of my bike crap locally to fund this. Pretty excited, even if it won’t be any more useful than my xtracycle. Sometimes you just need a project.

Dude anyone can ride a bullit. I always say (i’ve probably said it in this thread) the major learning curve is getting back on your own bike. After a day on a bullit you’ll ride your own bike into a fucking wall when you first get back on.

I test rode one once and the first few feet I dropped a foot , then I had a weeble wobble then it was business as usual. I honestly think it’s all in the not totally instant feedback. Like I’ve built crazy chopped out bikes but it’s still a direct link. It’s just getting used to different feedback not the stability of the bicycle.

I believe it’s got something to do with your body being located further back from the head tube. The way we balance a bike is by basically falling to one side and then constantly steering the bike back underneath ourselves.

On a typical bike and on longtails you are right up near the head tube, so any time you steer the bike to the side your body also moves sideways in space fairly instantly.

On a box bike style bike you steer to the side and the front of the bike moves sideways but you are back over the rear wheel and so your body moves less.

Visualize driving a typical schoolbus vs. if you were driving it from a seat right over the rear axle.

oh man I never even thought about that. Having heard it from someone that also rode tallbikes it kinda all makes sense now.

god damn I miss my tallbike.

[quote=jimmythefly]I believe it’s got something to do with your body being located further back from the head tube. The way we balance a bike is by basically falling to one side and then constantly steering the bike back underneath ourselves.

On a typical bike and on longtails you are right up near the head tube, so any time you steer the bike to the side your body also moves sideways in space fairly instantly.

On a box bike style bike you steer to the side and the front of the bike moves sideways but you are back over the rear wheel and so your body moves less.

Visualize driving a typical schoolbus vs. if you were driving it from a seat right over the rear axle.[/quote]
One of my favorite things about riding a bullit is that I can see the front wheel way out in front of me. It takes a bit of time but hopping curbs and dodging big potholes becomes easier than normal. You can watch your front wheel approach the object in a way that you can’t really do on a traditional bike.

Dropped off my donor frame and a deposit, so hopefully in the next 3-5 weeks the bike will be done. Pretty psyched, and finally got a use for my pink token headset.

Cool. What donor frame?

You are going to need two headsets. Welcome to the weird world of cagro.

Took this thing off xtracycle duty, big, burly, already heavy, and fits well.

They’ve got a stack of headsets, told me I didn’t even need to bring the one, but I want as much pink as I can. I’m hoping wherever they end up powdercoating it will have some good options in that regard too.

Guy sent me an update, still lots to do but I’m in no rush. Psyched.

Sw8 AF.

That’s so rad.
Stoked for you John.

That’s gonna be awesome. Same color powdercoat when it’s done?

They’re trying to find a place that can sandblast a frame that large for a price they can afford, so rattle can for now with the promise of a real powdercoat when they can. As long as its pink/purple/magenta or something similar I’m pretty easygoing.

The other advantage of rattle can paint job is no-hesitation to modify. I’m sure i’d eventually want to add a tie-down mounting point or light bracket as I spent more time with it.