Get me into drops and hoodz

What should i be looking at?

I wanna try ergo, but dont wanna spend a whole lotta money.

in b4 shit storm of NUDL CRUE

I have some Nashbar ergo drops you can just have. 26.0 clamp - 44 width. They have a single cable groove.
Maybe I can give em’ to you when I pick up wheel?

I don’t have any hoods/levers kicking around though. The Tektro levers are decent for like $25. I think Wright Bros, has them.

bike shops might have take off bars. compact bars are nice, they’re what i’m going to use for road season next year.

[quote=tarckeemoon]I have some Nashbar ergo drops you can just have. 26.0 clamp - 44 width. They have a single cable groove.
[/quote]
sounds awesome.
what hoods/bartape would you reccomend?

he just said tektro, but i’d get the sram if you can.
http://www.sram.com/node/106/brand/sram-road/src/cat
fizik bartape is the only way to go.

[quote=PWR BTTM][quote=tarckeemoon]I have some Nashbar ergo drops you can just have. 26.0 clamp - 44 width. They have a single cable groove.
[/quote]
sounds awesome.
what hoods/bartape would you reccomend?[/quote]

Cane Creek SCR-5 hoods are my favorite, but really the Tektros are fine.

Bar tape-wise I really like the Deda carbon-look stuff. Kinda cheesy in theory, but it’s really comfortable and grippy and the adhesive is good. It also wears extremely well, and comes in a length long enough that you can wrap without worrying about running out before you get to the stem.

One would expect myself and others to bring the previously mentioned shitstorm upon such a thread, but I believe one must experience the mediocrity of other dropz before fully appreciating the glory that is had when grabbing onto a pair o’ nudlz.

Tektro r100 (small hands) and r200 (big hands) are the jam far as levers go.

[quote=Elderberry]One would expect myself and others to bring the previously mentioned shitstorm upon such a thread, but I believe one must experience the mediocrity of other dropz before fully appreciating the glory that is had when grabbing onto a pair o’ nudlz.

Tektro r100 (small hands) and r200 (big hands) are the jam far as levers go.[/quote]

EDIT: And for teh tape- cork seems to be what most folks dig these days, and is probably a good place to start. But if you wanna take a trip down retrogrouch lane, shellaced cotton can be super rad if you don’t mind feeling the road a little.

ACTUAL EDIT: Apologies for accidental self quotage, but I think you’ll agree that what I had to say was pretty damned important.

As a NUDL CRUE member, I disagree.

Also, Cinelli cork has gotten progressively crappier and more expensive. I will probably never buy it again.

i was raised on old shimano 105/600 aero levers… i CANNOT FUCKING STAND tektro r200s, one of the worst bike products i’ve ever used. i do have somewhat small hands, maybe i shoulda been on r100s instead, but if they’re at all like the r200s, they’ll be bulbous and awkward and uncomfortable

i’d hunt down some suntour or shimano levers from the early 90s. +points if you can get funky colored hoods.

or just kop these

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=D1102

Protip - Ride your hoods installed sans tape for as long as you can stand it to make sure you have the placement right before you wrap em’. Wrap the ends of your bar plugs with about a turn and a half of electrical tape before installing them. Really helps them stay put.

Shimano + NUDL = comfortable combo. Shimano + anything with a sloping ramp, not so much atmo. I don’t like having any of my body weight resting on those narrow-ass hoods.

i thought you weren’t supposed to put much weight on your hands anyway

at least thats how i’ve been trying to ride for a while now. get a good fit in saddle angle, fore/aft, and cleat position… yeah

tbh i’m not sure how “ramped” my drops are, they are these, i like em

Personal preference. I prefer ergo bends (Ritchey WCS on two bikes). I prefer Campy-style hood shapes (Tektro copies in my case).

[quote=toast]i thought you weren’t supposed to put much weight on your hands anyway
[/quote]

My feeling is all of the contact points on the bike should be taking their share of your body weight. Maybe not as much on the hands, but with any amount of drop it happens.

intelligent dance music

[quote=toast]

or just kop these

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=D1102[/quote]
bought these 2 weeks ago… still haven’t installed them but, the seem nice enough for the $

travis, the type of bars you get should also depend on your bike fit. if your bike fits well, you can get away with standard bars, but you should also be careful to get soemthing that won’t have too far of a reach. when you put hoods on, you’re going to stretch out a little further than before and if youre already stretched a bit, it’ll be uncomfortable.

i just got the tekro aero levers theyre super cheap… they felt real hard and awkward at first and I still feel much more comfortable in the sram hoods on m y cross bike (after riding sram though even campy feels weird)

I rode 100ish km with a shimano aero lever on one side and a tektro on the other. Verdict: Tektro is way, way better at least for my hands. The Shimano hurt me a bit because of its small contact area. YMMV obviously.

PS nuuuuds. The flat ramp is peerless for everyday riding atmo.

personal preference, i cant stand ergo bars, because i sprint from the flats. so classic bend for me. new style compact bars dont really ring my bell either because i dont like having my wrist cocked. maybe try a couple friends bikes with different bends, should be self evident rapidly, bars dont usually grow on you, they either feel nice or dont.

i do my bars in fizik microtex, very thin. if you like cushy bartape look elsewhere.

if you like cushy bartape get the fizik gel pads.

you mean the flats on the top of your bars or the flats on the drops?

i use ergo bars and don’t have a problem with the latter. not that i like the bars.