get me into shipping a frame safely and quickly

i was gonna ask this in the framebuilding thread but some of you guys are pro ebay flippers so please chime in here

1. pro tips on packaging? its just frame/fork and some small bits. i gots a box. even went to office depot and bought bubble wrap and bacon tape. i also have frame spacers in the drop outs. strategies and awzum protips please

2. shipping. its going to NYC, preferably fast and safe. talk to me about shippers, with those two qualities in mind. we do have a shipping budget, but it’s pretty comfy

fedex ground is cheapest, but probably not fastest or safest. (but fedex ground is independent contractors and quality of service is lower than ‘real’ fedex. I still use it, but cheap is usually a higher priority than fast or safe for me)

that said, usps is literally around the corner from me, so use it for pretty much everything now even if it’s a couple bucks more.

I can’t speak to much on shipping bikes but, when I ship my product I use UPS. I’ve never had a problem shipping to other businesses.

I was wondering the same thing.
Fixed wheel set from PA to MN was $35 with FedEx. I am afraid of shipping this 29er frame.
Somehow my Kelly has a posted postage of $25 CA to PA with USPS. hmm.

UPS x plastic DO spacer combo collabo rocks it

I also tape thick cardboard around the BB/top of ST/ends of HT. Probably overkill, but feels good.

pinarello was damaged by ups
had insurance and they did not honor it.
i packaged it using the foam my mom receives glass in.
the box was damaged.

i though this was a good idea.

also.
one person shipped a frame to me and he taped 2 litre coke bottles (with the cap on so they kept box from being crushed) in a few places like inside the main and rear triangles.
of course you should brace the dropouts and fork tips.
sometimes i tape the fork into the rear triangle.
lots of foam and tape.
sturdy cardboard box…

2 litre bottles is real good idea

dang bubble wrap is esspensif

imma start hoarding that shit

[quote=turpencat]pinarello was damaged by ups
had insurance and they did not honor it.
i packaged it using the foam my mom receives glass in.
the box was damaged.[/quote]

Had a similar situation where the box arrived banged to fuck all, opened it to find the derailleur hanger was bent to all hell. Wasn’t there to receive the package, so ended up having to call UPS and have someone sent out to “inspect it” for the insurance claim, which they rejected. However, I did have it shipped through a bike shop and they were awesome about it–ended up mailing me a replacement. Unfortunately the bike got stolen two weeks later anyway.

i got a frameset in the mail with the fork (and headset) uninstalled. seemed like a decent idea.

well i put the cups in coz ben dont have a press but i have the OG packaging from easton for the fr0k. i think i got a plan. now it’s just a matter of calling in favors for a ride to fedex on swan island.

shoulda called me douggie…
got mad packing stuff and having built tons of bikes straight out the box i know how to package. lemme know if you still need some help.

1. I always ship through the LBS’ account. It was like $11 to ship a frame from here (ND) to Portland in a bike box.
  2. What was up with those insurance claims? Why were they not honoring them?

I’ve never heard of an insurance claim not honored in the case of a damaged box. Most of the stuff I ship is insured for something that’s several orders of magnitude greater in expense than a bike frame. Usually ship via UPS.

the hillborne was by far the best packed bike i’ve seen. shipped with the fork on. they carved out large dense foam blocks the width of the box and dropouts and fork ends were placed in it. lots of these foam blocks everywhere, then wrapped in bubble tape and all that.
i tried to mimic it when i shipped the land shark using housing insulation that was laying around my studio area.
that igleheart i had was shipped in a half taped, open box with a few pieces of butcher paper tossed in. ended up being fine though.

i got a bike like that ^ once. loose frame. heh actually it came with a weird bug. i refuse to mention the name of the bike company. ha actually im supposed to ship the same frame to ian. oh dang i coulda done that one too. :frowning:

yeah jeezy get me a box and some shit from that shop

[quote=zombie]UPS x plastic DO spacer combo collabo rocks it

I also tape thick cardboard around the BB/top of ST/ends of HT. Probably overkill, but feels good.[/quote]

I do the cardboard thing too. I take pride in my frame packing.

Plastic DO spacer? Wassat?

And the Coke bottle idea…resourceful as fuck.

They will only cover damage if the item was packed with a level of care corresponding to the declared value. Anything of substantial value pretty much has to be in Styrofoam and bubble wrap in a good double-corrugated box or they won’t honor the insurance. You sign to all of that when you ship with them.

I know because I unfortunately managed a UPS Store for way too long and am a “UPS Certified Packer”.

[quote=bexley][quote=zombie]UPS x plastic DO spacer combo collabo rocks it

I also tape thick cardboard around the BB/top of ST/ends of HT. Probably overkill, but feels good.[/quote]

I do the cardboard thing too. I take pride in my frame packing.

Plastic DO spacer? Wassat?

And the Coke bottle idea…resourceful as fuck.[/quote]

drop out spacer. injection molded chunk of plastic spaced at 130/120 or 100mm

DQ. Thanks. I use them when I have them. Sawed off a piece of a broomstick last time with the ends fitted to the dropouts.