get me into varus/valgus wedges

the footbeds i got (specialized blue) come with these shims to go under the footbed and some simple instructions. from the test i have a varus angulation. it reccomends trying the thin wedge and going from there.

i scared though.

inform me.

put yourself on a trainer in front of a mirror and use the shim that lets your leg move straight up and down like a piston. when i was fit the guy pulled out a laser level and checked with that.
or you could just go out on a ride and pay attention to how your knees track.

should i adjust my seat level after ? seems like a yes probably.

i use a 1.5 varus and it’s so thin at the center i can’t imagine it making a whole lot of difference. i started using the shim after my fitting when a lot of adjustments were made, so i can’t really say whether or not that was taken into consideration.
also i put a couple of dabs of super glue on it to hold it to the footbed, it kept slipping to the middle of the shoe when i first put it in.

I use the 1.5 varus as well. I just got some of the wedges that go under your cleat and need to put them on because the wedges take up just enough room in my shoe to pinch my toes if I wear anything thicker than a cycling sock.

I had a lot of trouble with my knees turning in due to arch collapse. Getting the specialized inserts and using the wedges seems to have helped a lot. It still wasn’t entirely ride and I ended up getting measured and having shims put under my cleat on one side. It still isn’t perfect and I’m gonna have the same guy check me out again because I am still getting a little knee pain on one side.

I found a good image that illustrates how to measure/figure out what you neeed:

Doug, read the instructions that came with the footbed. There’s a simple test where you bend you knees and watch how they track over the balls of your foot. Also, watching how your knees track over your feet while you pedal (basically by looking how they move in relation to the top tube).

Start with small adjustments, as always; i.e., only one thin wedge per foot, and go from there. If you make adjustments a couple times and are still getting pain/not tracking right, go get a cleat fit.

damn that dude in the pic has some fucked up ankle shit going on.

yeah i did the thing. its ok. seems like my knees bob in less. no pain to speak of. never was really.

i really need road shoes and pedals before i fuck with cleat shims.

Your mom is a valgus wedge.

http://images.google.com/images?q=vargas%20girls&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

???

[quote=white folks]damn that dude in the pic has some fucked up ankle shit going on.

yeah i did the thing. its ok. seems like my knees bob in less. no pain to speak of. never was really.

i really need road shoes and pedals before i fuck with cleat shims.[/quote]

Yeah. I don’t thin kits nearly as important with mtb pedals/shoes…

I had a ton of trouble getting the cleats adjusted when I switched to road pedals but most of it was my knees. But now when I go back, i can’t stand doing a long ride on mtb pedals.

Now that I have shims under one cleat, walking in road shoes is completely ruled out. Feels terrible.

Also this what i have lying around hoping to replace the varus wedges with:

walking around in shimmed spd cleats is probably worse, you get a hot spot after a few steps.

went for a lil spin last night. small hills. so much better.

taargus taargus

“wait what’s your cats name?”

“um… taargus taargus”