Grease Thread

[quote=cookietruck]some boat wheel bearing grease for pretty much everything
its light green and a little thinner than most wheel bearing grease[/quote]

That’s what my coop buys. Threads and bearings get this. Lighter weight stuff goes on cables.

I have a tube of some Motorex at home for bolts and stuff.

T9 for chain lube and frame savin.

Purple Loctite for spoke threads.

Sebum

Headset - assuming threadless cartridge, marine grease between all surfaces
Bottom Bracket - marine grease on threads
Seatpost clamp - marine grease on binder bolt
Stem - steerer - nothing - unless carbon, then glycerin/silicon compound
Stem - bars - nothing - unless carbon, then glycerin/silicon compound
Seatpost - marine grease between post and frame - unless carbon, then glycerin/silicon compound, blue loctite on micro-adjust bolts, marine grease on single-bolt clamp, thin layer of marine grease on saddle rails - unless carbon, then nothing
Hubs - Phil on bearings and cone nut threads, marine grease on axle nut threads
QR skewers - marine grease on threads, chain lube on QR pivot

Pretty much any looseball bearings being repacked get Phil. Chain and any pivot points get T-9 on commuter bikes or Pro Link on racing bikes (T-9 repels salt better but can get gunky). Most threads get marine grease, except for RD hanger bolt, canti studs (where they thread into the frame/fork), BB shell cable guide bolt, and pedal cleat bolts which get blue loctite. Anything else that gets blue loctite is usually an adjuster screw or something on a component and the loctite is already there. EBBs often get teflon tape as well as grease on the threads.

I prefer spermaceti

I’m switching from Phils to Motorex across the board.

Oh, and blue Loctite on chainring bolts (and rotor bolts if not fresh)

I always do a light coat of grease on skewers, crank spindles, seatposts, and steel threadless steerers. Quill stems get a little more.

I’ll do a light coat on the bar clamp of non removable faceplate stems. I do the seat collar/st interface too. Light coat on freehub bodies.

Basically I spend a lot of time on this crap when I build a bike.

castrol marine grease. got a big tub with a toothbrush and it goes nigh on everywhere

and or whatever sample the sales reps are trying to hook us on this month.

I use an unlabeled tub of brown grease I got for cheap someplace long ago for most threads. Shimano special grease on all the cables, mineral oil for freehubs, and lithium grease (only because I have an injector on the tube) for bottle cage bolts or other hard to get into areas.

oil in hubs
talk to me about this
sounds like a stupid waste of time.

I don’t know why people do this. Less friction, maybe?

http://www.rocklube.com/super_web.htm

yeah pretty much, your pawl system never really sees dirt, is usually super easy to rebuild and suffers greatly with regards to rollout if you overpack em. I use finish line xc chain shit on all my pawl systems, king blood for the winter usually as its a bit heavier. Where engagement matters (ie trials) i knew guys that did dumb shit like run em dry or full of wd-40 to get it as fast as possible.

anyone know where I can pick up a nos tube of bullshot grease? wanna get my friend/mechanic a tube since he swears by it and cant find any

high park cycle if you can get in, place is a timewarp

Step it up and use some smegma atmo.

santorum

on shitted freehubs/freewheels I’ll hose 'em with liquid wrench to get the pawls back.
and then if I give a shit about the end user, phil’s tenacious to get something with some viscosity in there that’ll stick.

fwiw zipp actually recommends 10w-30 for their freehubs, easton recommends mineral oil. I’ve tried phil tenacious on a freehub service and it fels like complete shit, cleaned it out re did it with mineral oil and felt 1000x better.

Recently installed a BB that had locktite on the threads from the manufacturer. It didn’t feel right piling grease on top of that, so I just installed it without any additional stuff. Should I pull it out and put grease on it as well?