¡Hai it's me again with a nub question!

I have a bike with a 15T fixed cog on it, and a chain cut for that cog and a 46T chainring. I plan on converting this to a single speed but would rather a 18T freewheel for a more leisurely ride.

Do I need to add a link(s) to the chain? Or will the difference be negligible? I assume the wheel will end up moving forward slightly in the drop outs. But talk to me about chainline, etc.

Explanation: GF got a Bikesdirect bike, comes with shitty 15T cog, want to make single speed. Have 18T Shimano freewheel.

I can already tell based on your punctuation and general outlook whether you will have enough room in the dropouts for the new rear wheel position, without even having to know what kind of bike it is (ie, how long the dropouts are) or how far forward in the dropouts your current wheel is.

I wasn’t exactly expecting anyone to give me a definite answer, I was just wondering if it would be as simple as “if you have enough play in the dropouts, then you’re fine”, or whether I would have to measure the chain line and compensate for the difference by adding chain links.

FWIW, it’s a Motobecane Track frame.

Do you know what “chain line” means?

Also, it is obvious that the wheel will move forward. No one can tell you if you will have enough room in the dropout without actually trying it on your bike.

wat

you have to measure the chain line and compensate for the difference by adding chain links

Yeah, but can he use the Sheldon method or will he need to buy a rotafix?

No need to be condescending, guys. I’m admitting I do not completely understand what issues I may have to deal with and don’t need you to make fun of me for it with smarmy Sheldon Brown jokes while you your morning bowel movements begin to stir under the first sips of your organic coffee blends and American Apparel boxer briefs.

It might be that you didn’t even take the time to look at the forum or google before asking this, because if you’d done either of those you’d have noticed the Dumb Questions thread that is only 4 threads below this one, or you’d have gotten your answer in google.

this, plus i find it easiest to measure with starbucks via packets. proper chain line is two wide.

holy shit are you watching me right now?!

if you change it to ss from fixed you will have to move the chainring
to the inside of cranks
or it won’t work
coz free wheels are wider than cogs

:colbert:

Thank you for running a tight ship. This forum thanks you.

Also, I did google/search, but none gave me a clear, concise answer. Is it really a horrible thing to answer in a sentence or two, and just let this thread die? Instead we’re going to drag this out for multiple pages filled with tons of sarcastic humor*.

*Hilarious Humor

shit dude. just add like 20 links and use one of those awzm chain tensinoer things that have a sweet spring loaded third wheel.
you’ll get all the street cred for no fear of nothing man.

If I add 50 links does that mean I have an XTRACYCLE? Or do I need a coaster brake for that?

Wait. I thought that bikesdirect bikes weren’t freewheel compatible.

If I had known that they were, I could have saved myself a ton of money. I’ve spent like $900 converting that s works e5.

Dewd… fucking put the freewheel on the bike. Pull the chain off of the cranks, put it onto the freewheel. Put the shit into the dropouts.

If the chain will fit around the ring on the cranks, you’re fine… if the chain doesn’t fit add some fucking links. Its not rocket surgery. LIke when ur born its pretty easy to figure out that food goes in ur mouth… same thing atmo…

[quote=crushfaygodestroy]Wait. I thought that bikesdirect bikes weren’t freewheel compatible.

If I had known that they were, I could have saved myself a ton of money. I’ve spent like $900 converting that s works e5.[/quote]

Also hard lolz.