Ham Curious

not sure if just being a dick answer
but if not just being a dick
what does non-suspension 3" tires get me that suspension + 2.35s doesn’t?
[/quote]
Not a dick answer fwiw, not tryna be a dick.
Still sensitive about MigTBgate 2013(c)

I think I am that Luddite who wants a rigid mtb and I get the fauxspension, I wish I could rent one or borrow. I’ve tried them on at the bike shop but I don’t have any actual trail/gravel experience

so… I’m seeing this tapered carbon fat fork on J&B for June release; I’m a little concerned that buying a Pug at this point is buying into 7 year old design, like a lot of the Surly designs.

I would ride the shit out of a moonlander… if I didn’t live in the city. Would be pointless here.

not sure if just being a dick answer
but if not just being a dick
what does non-suspension 3" tires get me that suspension + 2.35s doesn’t?
[/quote]
I thought the whole point of hambikes was not sinking into snow (and maybe sand). If you want to do a fair bit of riding offroad in snow then I imagine you want BIG tyres. If not, there’s no point in taking the massive speed penalty on every other road surface.

How do 29ers ride in the snow? I’m guessing they don’t have near the same float as the hambieks. My wife wants a hambiek but I almost wonder if it wasn’t the bike she liked as much as riding offroad. Though she’s too short for a 29er, she’d be on 26" wheels fo sho.

26 with 4" tire hambiek wheels have pretty much same outer diameter as 29 with a 2.3

29ers sorta work in the snow if conditions are right. No different than any other mountain bike, I’d say.

On the other end, even a ham biek will suck in deep powdery snow ruts. Especially uphill. Much hike a bike.

I once built a ss 29er for a snow bike because I couldn’t justify a hambike. I found that my fg cross bike was better for most types of city snow anyway.

Yeah I keep trying to justify some kind of mountain bike, but I’m afraid to take the plunge just in case my wife ends up liking it but not really wanting to take the time to do it. So I figure winter commuting would be added incentive, but my hybrid with winter tires seems to be rideable here since they plow most paths.

1. Sell hybrid
  2. Buy mtb
  3. Throw slicks on mtb for hybrid type stuff
  4. Shred/profit

Seems pretty reasonable…

TC: Can’t stand Hambieks. Too much of the cycling world is turning into the motorcycle world. Just waiting on someone to popularize mini-bikes and I’m never going to ride dirt or gravel again. Think my balls are just getting long.

Like this? Still better than fgfs atmo.
[YouTube]rTcRU_Z9QDw[/youtube]

didn’t you swear off gravel before, and then go on a 3 hour gravel sufferfest?

I swore off owning a mountain bike in a locale sans mountains. Finding that maybe I’ve had too much adventure to relate anymore and the things everyone else think are rad just bum me out nowadays.

Still interested in what you end up getting and seeing you through not needing multiple iterations to arrive at the best solution. Kids grow up fast enough today’s perfect plan is worthless in a month or two.

Maybe a dad-e-hambiek could be your ticket. If you get the weight distribution right it would go through snow unassisted no worse than a normal one. Speed on command might be fun for all involved before long, in more seasonable weather. Call that a concession towards providing something useful out of a complaint that didn’t need to be aired.

29er sucks in the deep snow. I’ve tried it. Good unicycle practice maybe. You get going and your rear wheel spins a lot while you stand and try to balance on the front while pushing through snow. I don’t get fatties in anything except for snow or beach sand.

“I assure you young man, that neither I nor my friend here, that neither of us would be described, as you generously put it, as 'ham curious.”

nailed it

this is the bike to get atmo, Jeff Jones style geo with a 60mm offset fork:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFATX52/on_one_fatty_fat_bike
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOFAT/on_one_fatty_frame

the bundle of the frameset and wheelset is a hell of a deal: http://www.planet-x-usa.com/product-p/buoofat.htm

I saw the on-one, and it does seem like a good deal, but I’m concerned about the rack mount situation.
It looks like there’s threaded eyelets at the dropout, and maybe could get the seatpost binder that has mounting points?

So on something like the Pugsley, it being an old design, is there anything wrong with that if all I’m going to do is put around on it? Or is it just stupid to pay that much money for an outdated design?