Headset Recommendations

I juts use a flat head screw driver and a small hammer. If it is really tight, I use a putty knife and a hammer. How many races are you pulling? You would have to build a lot of bikes/swap a lot of headsets before that would pay back even at shop labor prices.

fer real. i’ll often use an adjustable spanner. just open it big enough so the jaws go over the fork crown and hit the race. hold fork upside down and hit the wrench with a hammer.

I use a pin punch which seems to work better than improvised bits.

I seriously do a headset swap or two a week. I’ve done it with screwdrivers before, but I when I have a race I want to reuse I’d rather not.

I’m not sure if I want something like this, which is pretty much the same as jacques’ wrench method;
[url]http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=29752&source=googleus[/url

Or if I’m gonna shell out for the Park CRP-1. This is the last service thing I have to go to the shop for (until I start getting getting into hydraulics and suspension), and it’s driving me crazy.

I’m planning on buying one of these one day. It’s a ~$20 version of Jacques’ method.

I currently use the hammer screwdriver thing but am unsatisfied with it. I’ll be trying Jacques’ way next time.

Any headset over $35 is fine. I like the Crank Brothers Opium C that is on my mtb, it has held up very well though it was a bastard to press in.

Unrelated to the OP, but whats the smallest stack threaded headset? i may be coming into a frame that had its fork cut too small for any headset i can find.

[quote=zombie]I seriously do a headset swap or two a week. I’ve done it with screwdrivers before, but I when I have a race I want to reuse I’d rather not.

I’m not sure if I want something like this, which is pretty much the same as jacques’ wrench method;
[url]http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=29752&source=googleus[/url

Or if I’m gonna shell out for the Park CRP-1. This is the last service thing I have to go to the shop for (until I start getting getting into hydraulics and suspension), and it’s driving me crazy.[/quote]

I don’t swap headsets nearly as often, but I honestly have no issues with a pin punch, even on full carbon forks. A couple of quick taps will do the job. Works better than a screwdriver.

I think a CK gripnut is 33-37 mm, and a CK 2-nut is 37 mm. Not sure if they are the shortest, but I just bought one so had the number fresh in memory.

Tange Passage is 30.2mm stack height.