Help me build this S&S coupled land shark touring/rando rig.

I even need help choosing a color! I spent a good 5 hours stripping the old powder coat off of this frame yesterday and I’m taking it to horse cycles to be coated on Tuesday. I’m leaning towards ripping off yummgooey and his rad geekhouse. I’ve always wanted a pink bike so I’m thinking that this may be the time, although I might go with a lighter pink and make it slightly pearlescent like those early pink univegas or schwinn preludes.

I’m also wrestling with how to build this. I usually have a clear sense of how I want to go about building a frame but I’m at a loss for this one. Buy a new shimano group? Use the campy record stuff I have? Shimano is more versatile for a touring/randonneur rig but I have a ton of campy shit and aesthetically find it most appealing.

Anyway, here’s the frame, fork and stem. I’m letting letting the dudes at Horse deal with removing the nit picky powder coat that’s left over.

took a pic of this datsun the other day, always wanted a bike in this green/blackway.

[quote=Cy Trivialities]took a pic of this datsun the other day, always wanted a bike in this green/blackway.

[/quote]
this is like 100% my new bike.

while it is stripped you should have horse put dick mounts on it. And a brace on the ss/fork blade.

I’ve been throwing around the idea of light pink metallic with like an ensign blue detailing. Or a cream with a rich blue or red detailing

I love that green.

Shit. Should I actually have dicks mounts installed!? That would open up a hole new world. If I do that should I have the canti posts removed? Fuuuuuck

Nah. It’s not designed for dicks. You’d want a new dick fork if you were gonna do that.

I’d build it up with dt shifters and some MTB dangler silliness, but then my bikes are all terrible so you shouldn’t listen to me. Wanna buy some Paul touring canti with v brake pad holders installed ?

This bike came with pauls so I’ll just use them. I think I have everything for a 9 speed down tube shifter build. Hm.

id just build it with your campy kit, maybe get a nice nerd crank for it? a flat bar build with jones bars or something could be cool too

have you thought about the bag/rack situation at all? having that figured out would probs help get you get a more clear idea on what cockpit setup would be ideal

A 9 spd DT shifter build sounds good if you’re going to be traveling with it a lot.

[quote=dorth]id just build it with your campy kit, maybe get a nice nerd crank for it? a flat bar build with jones bars or something could be cool too

have you thought about the bag/rack situation at all? having that figured out would probs help get you get a more clear idea on what cockpit setup would be ideal[/quote]

what’s a nerd crank? I haven’t sorted out the front rack/bag situation but I do have an ILE porteur rack bag that I’ll probably put on it. I was planning on having a custom front rack built, but I’m not trying to make this the most expensive build in the world, so we’ll see.

I’m really shift happy and I’ve actually never had a bike with DT shifters, so I’m hesitant to go that route.

The only modern nerd Crank Tarck recommends is the Sugino OX601/801/901D

You guys are skipping over the most important considerations: What color are your drivetrain options? Is the campy all black?

IMO silver hubs + ceramic or hard anno rims would look fantastic on this.
Maybe go mini-v for brakes?
There are good options for mini front racks that use the canti studs, no reason to reinvent the wheel there unless you want a larger platform.

Those 94bcd Ritchey cranks from your cargo bike are fantastic nerd cranks, consider moving them to this bike.

[quote=jimmythefly]You guys are skipping over the most important considerations: What color are your drivetrain options? Is the campy all black?

IMO silver hubs + ceramic or hard anno rims would look fantastic on this.
Maybe go mini-v for brakes?
There are good options for mini front racks that use the canti studs, no reason to reinvent the wheel there unless you want a larger platform.

Those 94bcd Ritchey cranks from your cargo bike are fantastic nerd cranks, consider moving them to this bike.[/quote]

Yes to all of this. I was thinking silver hubs to hard ano rims. Probably archetypes? I have another ritchey compact that I’ll likely use. I also have a silver compact centaur ultra torque crank but that will give me less options. I think I also have a nitto canti mount front rack.

yeah, basically what jimmy said. ritchey crank would be right at home with the rest of the campy running gear atmo

are archetypes tubeless-able?

I actually like DT shifters coz they kinda reduce shift-happiness. less shit on the handlebars to occupy ur mind

This is gonna be fantastic!

I’m all for moving your OG-nerd cranks from the GT to this, just score some cheap thrift stuff for the cargo to replace.
Sure like Fred says you could have some dickbrake mounts welded to the rear and have a new dickbrake fork made for it. But unless you really see the benefit (like throwing new shimano road/hydro shifters and splurging on a completely new drive train) there’s really no point to it right now. Mini-v’s or canti’s will stop you/slow you down as well though they will come with their respective drawbacks as you probably already know.

I would want DT-shifters on this but each to their own…

The Archetypes are not tubeless compatible, and will make you want to quit life if you try to make them.
But the new Hydra is!

hydra does not have a brake track

Shartmo I would get this

and then sell/trade the brakes
Didn’t somebody else link to some quick-disconnects for shift cables? I mean that’s if you actually intend to break the bike down all the time

edit: I take that back. I’m not sure that a triple is worth it to get a 30t small ring vs a 34t small ring.

Dude get dick brakes
Eventually finding 9x135 11sp rear hubs may be an issue of $$$ but you’ll erock something easily.

Unless you are going to use this only for strictly touring

Nah. Don’t dick-ify that frame.