Help me pick a Brooks saddle / embrace my inner Fred

So after much internal debate I have decided to embrace my inner Fred and try and Brooks on the commuter bike with the intention of eventually mounting on a audax bike I am going to have built in not too distant future if it works for me as well as most claim that it works for them.

My arse agrees with fairly flat front to back saddles with an average to slightly above average width. I can switch between Arione, Arione CX, and SSM Regal without any issues.

Does anyone on here use a Brooks on one bike and one of these saddles on another? What model?

I have no experience with the non-Brooks saddles mentioned, but my Professional feels like I’m sitting on heaven

I’ve never ridden any of the saddles you listed.
I generally like the turboish shape.
I have wide sitbones and love my B17s to death.
I also have 2 professionals which I like a lot but still need a few hundred miles on to make a final assessment.

I would go Team Pro w/ megasetback post. B-17 too wide and Swift/Swallow not firm enough.

B17 is too wide, Pro was too thick and rounded and never softened up, Swallow knock off seemed like it would work the best, but was too hard. Maybe a broken in Swallow would be ideal, especially if you’re used to flatter saddles like Ariones.

Firm is good… My Arione CX is pretty damn hard actually plus I almost never ride without some sort of bike shorts on. I’m leaning towards ordering one of the Alpe D’Huez Team Pros this week.

Pretty hot…

[quote=bradencbc]Firm is good… My Arione CX is pretty damn hard actually plus I almost never ride without some sort of bike shorts on. I’m leaning towards ordering one of the Alpe D’Huez Team Pros this week.

Pretty hot…

[/quote]

baller saddle indeed. I want a contour line tattoo of the mountain I grew up on

what tarckee said.
especially about the mega setback post to counter the brooks rails ordeal…

Rode an Arione for a while, went to an Antares which I like a bit better. I also ride a B17. The first B17 I had was really stiff, which I liked. I’ve not found one since that was as firm, but I’m a pretty big guy, so take that with a grain of salt.

Funny, the B17 I have now is fairly soft. One I had a while back was incredibly firm.

Now that you mention it… my B17n is pretty soft, and well broken in, my friends B17n is still very hard. She has no where near the miles that I do, but hers has practically ZERO signs of wearing in.

I guess the natural product of leather may really have that much variation? I never really considered it.

Really? My Swallow has slightly thicker leather than my B17 and is firmer. Maybe they’re not all the same?

Seems like the firmness of Brooks is directly related to the size of the rider and age of the saddle in 90% of cases.

You are a much smaller guy than I am.

Both my B17s are very soft and Ashley’s is pretty firm, but I have way more miles on both of mine than she does on hers.
Both my team pros are pretty firm even though I got one pretty well used.

b17 specials are thicker leather for durability, but honestly
fuck a brooks
get a berthoud.
pick whatever width you want and pull the trigger. Much nicer quality.

This, though the thickness of the leather varies between saddles. I bought a B17 special from VO that I sent back because it was too squishy.

This guy has ridden most/all of the Brooks range:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~swhs/fiets/tests/zadels/index_e.html

Worth a read for a bit of an overview.
If you like really firm saddles, B17 narrow could be worth checking out. I rode one for about 800 miles and it was still rock hard (^^the Dutch dude had the same experience). I sold it after that, it was just not working for me.

I’m 6’3" and 215-220lbs and the B17 is perfect for me out of the box. I apply Proofhide for whatever leather protection / conditioning it provides, but honestly the saddles feel great to me just as they come. Eventually the sides start to flare out at the bottom a small amount, but my hips are wide enough that it doesn’t bother me (I don’t even notice it). There may be a better saddle out there for me, but I haven’t found it yet and haven’t been too motivated to experiment because the B17 works so nicely for me.

[quote=Halbritt]
This, though the thickness of the leather varies between saddles. I bought a B17 special from VO that I sent back because it was too squishy.[/quote]
Totally. Rode scheleste schwinn for first time and white pro is waaaaaaaaaayyyyy stiffer than black one on surfcheck, even though it’s got hundreds more miles. Definitely prefer teh stiffness.

[quote=zooktruck]b17 specials are thicker leather for durability, but honestly
fuck a brooks
get a berthoud.
pick whatever width you want and pull the trigger. Much nicer quality.[/quote]
backed. they solve the biggest problem I have with brooks which is sitting on the rivets. the berthouds get the rivets all the way to the back, instead of directly on top like brooks.