Help me pick a Brooks saddle / embrace my inner Fred

Lookin at getting a used brooks team pro next week. Guy used it for a year. I’m guessing there’s no issues with having it re-break in to another person’s ass right?

You should measure the dude’s sit bones to make sure the saddle will be compatible.

So the black alp d’huez team pro came. It’s pretty hot. Won’t make it onto a bike for a week though because I’m taking the wife and cross bikes to go ride around in Maine.

Pretty stoked to try it out.

judging from that site kevinwulf posted i think i might go with the b17 imperial, any reason i shouldn’t?

berthoud

'splain

I’m not sold on the Team Pro. Or my 145 lbs aren’t managing to breaking it in.

Patch, do you have any personal experience with Berthold saddles?

Ill post a review later.
You need to lather some proofhide on though bex. you go way too light on it.

Or just soak the thing in water and ride it.

was thinking that.

Problem with that is it makes the middle get all saggy, which you may or may not like. Some people I know fucking love it, but I think it ruins the saddle. Some friends of mine just love their saggy-ass brooks saddles that they’ve left out in the rain a few times. They insist it’s the only way to get them to break in, but, after taking their advice, I disagree. You end up with this whole taint hammock thing that just doesn’t appeal to me. the downward slope from the back keeps you sliding forward, while the upward slope towards the nose keeps the pressure on your taint. Did for me at least. I tensioned it up, but it seems to be stretching again. I think I’m going to have to lace up the sides to keep this fucker in a comfortable shape.

taint hammock is great if you’ve got an upright position. it feels literally like theres no saddle
but when you gettin aero you need something to keep your pelvis from hitting the front knob while still having some sag for the back of your butt.
much tougher equation there.

You’re probably right. Bars are high on the stumpy, but I’m super stretched out. Comfy as shit.

i feel i need to lace the sides or just cut them off, cause im gettin too pro for my b17.

Probably lace them. If you cut them off, what will you do if the top starts to sag?

I’m too pro for pro?

not pro enough. soak soak soak

I’ve used a sponge to dampen the area under the sit bones to accelerate the break-in of a particularly stiff B17. Also, this has to be done prior to water proofing.

Interesting. I’ll have to remember that the next time I am breaking in a Brooks. Did it work well?

Yes.