Help me with my new build.

If you’re set on replacing the cranks and aren’t afraid of spending a little dough, why not Sugino 75?

this was my original thought, sugino or DA, but then I started thinking about the all italian option.

I think i’m the only person on earth that doesn’t love the miche seatpost… i think it looks super gaudy while the rest of the group is pretty generic. I’m also not a huge fan of the idea of a proprietary cog carrier system.

is the new crankset with the oversized black ring/silver spider & arms being included in the groups now? i don’t like the look of that ether.

I have a strong preference towards look of older campy stuff. Are you dead set on having an all ‘track’ drivetrain? i love my 80s record road cranks. + i got them NOS for like 75 bucks. fluted crankarms are pretty.

[quote=“snakesakti”]I think i’m the only person on earth that doesn’t love the miche seatpost… i think it looks super gaudy while the rest of the group is pretty generic. I’m also not a huge fan of the idea of a proprietary cog carrier system.

is the new crankset with the oversized black ring/silver spider & arms being included in the groups now? i don’t like the look of that ether.

I have a strong preference towards look of older campy stuff. Are you dead set on having an all ‘track’ drivetrain? i love my 80s record road cranks. + i got them NOS for like 75 bucks. fluted crankarms are pretty.[/quote]

I’m not set on a “track” drivetrain per se, but I kind of dont want to spend a bunch of time hunting for a deal on some older campy road cranks. Fill me in on the cog carrier system? are those miche hubs not standard threaded hubs? (forgive my lack of knowledge, I havent done a lot of research because I just came up with this idea this morning and I remembered thinking the miche groupset looked decent for the price and i had heard good things about it)

[quote=“room203”]what about their BBs being weird?

aside from that, i too would totally run that group.[/quote]
You should run that group on your Centurion!

[quote=“frankstoneline”]
I’m not set on a “track” drivetrain per se, but I kind of dont want to spend a bunch of time hunting for a deal on some older campy road cranks. Fill me in on the cog carrier system? are those miche hubs not standard threaded hubs? (forgive my lack of knowledge, I havent done a lot of research because I just came up with this idea this morning and I remembered thinking the miche groupset looked decent for the price and i had heard good things about it)[/quote]

Yeah, i wasn’t all about a deal, i just really like the look of old fluted cranks. NOS super record pista seemed impossible to find, and a used shop around me had some NOS road nuovo record that look pretty much identical.

Anyway, miche hubs use a cog carrier that threads onto the hub and holds the cog. If you’re changing ratios often it may make sense for you, but i’ve heard of play developing and other issues with the system. it also ensures that you have to buy their stuff.

edit: looking at a pic, it seems you could possibly just ditch the carrier and use a regular cog? i am not sure about diameter or threading though… maybe someone who knows can chime in.

I thought the cog carrier threaded onto a standard threaded surface, so you can thread on the carrier for easy changes or just throw on a normal cog.

you don’t have to use the carrier thing.

I always wondered how you would get the thing off of the hub. it seems like the cog would just pop out of the splines if you tried to take a chainwhip to the cog.

Nope, I hate that seatpin too. Fucking ugly nonsense pseudo-retro BS.

am i the only one that doesn’t really like that group at all?

if you have the funds Campy/DA seems like a great place to start. why not mix and match. screw euro vs. japan. get the best of both worlds. you have the opportunity to set up a dream bike, don’t cheap out.

[quote=“aek”]am i the only one that doesn’t really like that group at all?

if you have the funds Campy/DA seems like a great place to start. why not mix and match. screw euro vs. japan. get the best of both worlds. you have the opportunity to set up a dream bike, don’t cheap out.[/quote]

You sir, speak true.
I think my build will be as follows…
Black 75’s w/ ring
thompson 1 1/8 stem
bars undecided
Campy aero post maybe?
DA 7600 hubs, laced to ? looking for a good tubular possibility, as I will have a wheelset for everyday use, bladed spokes, low count.
use my concor light for a saddle
Get the frame powder coated and the minor dent filled
possibly replace the fork, cause its heavyyyyy.

Thats sort of the “ultimate build” list, so I dont think I will get all that done, but I would love to. I’m thinking I’ll head over the mountains and take some classes/ride at merrimore a bit if I can before it gets snowy, and build that shit up over the winter.

What frame are we talking about here?
Also, don’t powdercoat it brown. Brown bikes look like crap.

Truvativ omnium track cranks look great btw.

[quote=“lofarkas”]What frame are we talking about here?

Truvativ omnium track cranks look great btw.[/quote]

It’s my bareknuckle, and it’s already brown haha.

I love the look of your bareknuckle. AYHSMB.

[quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“lofarkas”]What frame are we talking about here?

[/quote]

That stem is killing me.

[quote=“danger_scott”][quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“lofarkas”]What frame are we talking about here?

[/quote]

That stem is killing me.[/quote]

I flipped it, I’ll get a new picture, that was like that cause i had risers on for a bit.

ok, heres the current setup.

Praise be to Tarckbear.

[quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“aek”]am i the only one that doesn’t really like that group at all?

if you have the funds Campy/DA seems like a great place to start. why not mix and match. screw euro vs. japan. get the best of both worlds. you have the opportunity to set up a dream bike, don’t cheap out.[/quote]

You sir, speak true.
Black 75’s w/ ring
thompson 1 1/8 stem
bars undecided
Campy aero post maybe?
DA 7600 hubs, laced to ? looking for a good tubular possibility, as I will have a wheelset for everyday use, bladed spokes, low count.

Thats sort of the “ultimate build” list, so I dont think I will get all that done, but I would love to. I’m thinking I’ll head over the mountains and take some classes/ride at merrimore a bit if I can before it gets snowy, and build that shit up over the winter.[/quote]

that sounds good. those parts aren’t all to my taste, but if i met you i don’t think i could talk shit about anything there. i would just look around and go “fuuuuck” and then say something jackass like “you gonna upgrade that frame soon?”

[quote=“aek”][quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“aek”]am i the only one that doesn’t really like that group at all?

You sir, speak true.
Black 75’s w/ ring
thompson 1 1/8 stem
bars undecided
Campy aero post maybe?

Thats sort of the “ultimate build” list, so I dont think I will get all that done, but I would love to. I’m thinking I’ll head over the mountains and take some classes/ride at merrimore a bit if I can before it gets snowy, and build that shit up over the winter.[/quote]

that sounds good. those parts aren’t all to my taste, but if i met you i don’t think i could talk shit about anything there. i would just look around and go “fuuuuck” and then say something jackass like “you gonna upgrade that frame soon?”[/quote]

haha,
The point of the thread was to hear others view on a build, so any suggestions?
I’m not saying I’m going to listen, but I want to hear em :slight_smile: