Helping strangers (with locking)

:colbert:

anyway here’s my new favorite lock technique, i’ve been seeing it a lot around here lately

so utterly retarded. take everything but a couple of spokes…

Rolled up to work the other day and saw that my boss had locked only her seat post to the bike rack. She left it like that for DAYS even after I informed her of how simply it could be stolen.

Does anyone else see a common theme here?

“my boss had locked only her seat post”
“her lock job”

etc

I am willing to bet that 4/5 of all stupid locking methods have female inventors. It seems that some women can’t visualize in what way the lock is supposed to connect the bike with the rack, they just work along the lines of “fasten something somehow to something”. Sometimes I see bikes that aren’t really locked, the chain doubles back and doesn’t do anything, at most it secures the chain to the bike, leaving even the wheels free to roll.

:bear:

I accidentally freelocked my bike instead of locking it to the rack but in my defense I was really stoned when I did it. Also it was only for a few minutes anyway. I shouldn’t have posted this, now I just look like a bigger idiot than I did before.

Just like they are all horrible drivers and emotional wrecks, right? Seriously, what would they do without men, right?

…I’m willing to bet that 100% of all stupid locking methods are invented by people who either don’t know any better, are stoned, or just don’t care. None of these are gender specific.

edited for tallbike.

back when I just had a walmart mtb there were a couple times I locked my lock to the rack and missed the bike completely. I think it’s more an issue of these people not caring and not even considering thinking about it than anything.

I realized yesterday afternoon that the Schwinn mountain bike that’s usually next to my parking spot doesn’t actually have a lock on it or anything. It’s obviously getting used often, as it’s always in a slightly different spot. Time for a post it note?

[quote=“gerund”] I’ve seen bikes locked down the street from my house and everytime I walk by them, another part is missing.
[/quote]
I watched just this thing happen over the course of last week.
I went running monday morning and there was a lowend 90s Trek MTB locked to a fence by a gas station.
I went running tuesday and the front wheel was gone.
I went running wednesday and the saddle and post were gone.
I went running thursday and the rear wheel was gone.
I went running friday and the frame was somehow gone with the lock still hanging on the fence.
I should have taken a pic every day and then made an animated GIF of the bike slowly disappearing. That would have been awesome.

that happened to a nice cannondale roadbike down the street from my old house. By the end of the week there was just the frame, a couple days later there was just a cut ulock.

with regards to the original question, I always got a pretty negative reaction from people when I tried to give them unsolicited advice on the subject- ie “I know how to lock my bike dummy”. So I just took the position that someone elses shitty lockup makes my bike less likely to get jacked and leave it at that.