high psi tyres

just saw these at nashbar and noticed they are capable of 100-150 psi. maybe i am wrong, but that struck me as very high, and i can’t think of any other clinchers that compare. do you think these are any good? they must be built well to be able to handle that high of a psi. what are some other high psi capable clinchers (and can cheap tubes handle 150 psi)? high psi clinchers would be best for the 'drome besides, tubulars, no?

i guess i found another but other than these i don’t see many (nashbar doesn’t have most psi ratings listed though).

discuss

I usually run my tires at around 120psi. They can certainly go higher. I guess I am not sure that those are very exceptional.

I had a terrible expereince with those tires. I had a pair of red-walled Panaracer Stradius Pros and not only were the sidewalls peeling off, but I got this bizarre puncture-looking hole in the tire. I’m pretty sure it actually just tore open on it’s own, because the tube was fine and actually started to bubble up through it. Looking at the inside of the tire before I threw it away, it looked like a few small cuts along the same axis as the weave.

I was really pissed too because I only had them 3 months and maybe put 200 miles on. But yeah they could take up to 160psi I believe. Kind of unnecessary for the road but still.

lots of tires can be run higher than 115.

but it can kind of suck to do so, if you like cornering and if your neighborhood has any bumps in the pavement.

having the wheels squirrel around underneath you is not a pleasant experience. either on the track or on the road.

above 120 is useless

read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

high psi rating != quality tyre

[quote=“biekridder”]read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

high psi rating != quality tyre[/quote]

I did. Here’s what is says:

“The marketing department wants the number high, because many tire purchasers make the (unreliable) assumption that the higher the pressure rating, the better the quality of the tire.”

:bear:

Oh, and TPI specs (threads per inch) are usually a decent indicator of performance (higher numbers = better), but that’s not perfect either.

Supple, high performance tires are often more fragile. It’s usually a tradeoff between price, performance (including weight), and durability. See the “bitch and moan” thread.

If you want some legit clinchers for the velodrome, get some Vittoria Evo Corsa CX’s or Michelin Pro Race 3’s.

[quote=“tarckeemoon”][quote=“biekridder”]read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

“The marketing department wants the number high, because many tire purchasers make the (unreliable) assumption that the higher the pressure rating, the better the quality of the tire.”

:bear:[/quote]
i don’t understand your post. your first post in this thread contained no text, just a quote of what i wrote above.

the sheldon link was intended for the op and others interested on the subject, not directly at you as you made no reply for me to direcct

???

[quote=“biekridder”][quote=“tarckeemoon”][quote=“biekridder”]read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

:bear:[/quote]
i don’t understand your post. your first post in this thread contained no text, just a quote of what i wrote above.

the sheldon link was intended for the op and others interested on the subject, not directly at you as you made no reply for me to direcct

???[/quote]

Looking at it again I think there was just a problem where the “does not equal” sign you typed did not reproduce correctly (for me at least).

whoops. i do not know how to write a does not equal sign so i used an excalmation pt (!) followed by an equal (=) sign to approximate the symbol

does not equal !=

my bad!

“!=” == “does not equal”

At least to programmers.

Yeah, when people use /= or =/= i get confused.

“!=” == “does not equal” FTW

What about # (pound.) It’s like an ‘equal’ but with two strikes for emphasis.

no way, they totally cancel each other out.

-edit-
thanks for the replies btw. i think i had read that sheldon article at some point and forgotten about it… silly me.

vredestein fortezza tricomp 175 psi

my vittorria zaffirro clinchers run @ 145psi