Hip packs / pouches.

I’m looking to buy a hip pouch that will be big enough to carry my digital SLR (inc lens and external flash)… so it needs to be of a decent size. Anyone got any recommendations?

Maybe a backpack?

not gunna happen.
get a backpack

my small timbuk2 barely holds a body, 2/3 lenses, a flash and hood
and thats way bigger than any hip pouch.

i cant image carry that much weigh on my belt

I already have one. I just want my camera to be easily accessible without having to get it out of my bag.

get a point and shoot

is that a blicks bag?

i guess i stand corrected.

regardless, i guess the OP and i use SLRs for different things.
the only time i would carry mine around with me is if im going to be taking photos of something i have already planned out.
i dont see a reason to be able to get at it right away, if i see a funny car or something weird, i have my phone to take a photo.
my SLR is used for taking photos that are properly laid out and well lit, but maybe thats because i started out shooting film and appreciate composition

regardless of how sick i think that bag is, i dont agree with this whole idea here.
i hate how easy/trendy photography has become. its actually a love/hate thing

using metering, and a darkroom, is what made it an art form.
now literally everything is done for you. set it to auto, a little contrast in photoshop. and upload it to your flickr

i hate technology
(posted from iPhone)

Get one of those sunglass mounted spy cameras like Rusty’s got. They’re sweet!

Here’s a link. But there are different brands/prices all over the net.

[quote=GRHebard]regardless, i guess the OP and i use SLRs for different things.
the only time i would carry mine around with me is if im going to be taking photos of something i have already planned out.
i dont see a reason to be able to get at it right away, if i see a funny car or something weird, i have my phone to take a photo.
my SLR is used for taking photos that are properly laid out and well lit, but maybe thats because i started out shooting film and appreciate composition

regardless of how sick i think that bag is, i dont agree with this whole idea here.
i hate how easy/trendy photography has become. its actually a love/hate thing

using metering, and a darkroom, is what made it an art form.
now literally everything is done for you. set it to auto, a little contrast in photoshop. and upload it to your flickr

i hate technology
(posted from iPhone)[/quote]

I couldn’t decide whether to click the ‘quote’ button or ‘ignore user’ button after reading what was such a narrow-minded and eletist approach to photography. I know this wasn’t a personal stab, but for the record, I don’t have a camera that I set to auto, I wouldn’t take a photo of a funny car (well, maybe I would) I don’t like post-prod (I too appreciate composition and started out shooting film) and I don’t have a flickr. But: photography is as much a documenting tool as it is an artform.

yeah… that wasnt really aimed at you, that was just a rant,
i guess i did go over the top a little

its just that your putting a lot of expensive equipment on the line by carrying it around
when a small $100 point and shoot would do the job perfectly
($150 will buy you a 10.3megapixel camera the size of a wallet)
that just seems like such a better choice for documenting

Yep, fair point, but I simply don’t have an interest in taking photos with a point and shoot camera. But you are right, it might be a bit dumb carrying stuff around on my hip in the case of a crash or whatnot.

Anyway, let’s talk about bags.

talk to blicks.
and get whatever bag your heart desires (custom)

i dont get how digital photography has reduced the value of metering and composition. automatic cameras and cheap film have been around forever, and modern cameras still absolutely necessitate user control for acceptable results in almost every situation. a computer is much like a darkroom, except it doesn’t smell and is more user friendly. youre out of your mind.

when you can take 2500 photos in a shoot in reduces the importance of each shot
if youve shot 3x5, thats $10 worth of film and hours of work per shot. people take quite a lot of time deciding exactly what the photo will be of, from what angle, and every other factor

and comparing photoshop to a darkroom is like comparing a coloring book to a canvas
photoshop will turn out decent/good/amazing images, and basically its hard not to (like a coloring book).
a darkroom will create an image from what you put into in (like a canvas)

i understand your point, and i can see why you think that. thats reasonable
but this is what i believe, you can think whatever you want about it, it probably will not change, i probably am out of my mind

heres what my bag looked like today
(PS it weighs a ton)

heres everything out of it
when i pack the bag, i put the umbrellas/lightstands/tripod on the outside, then the electronics (wrapped in the backdrop sheets) go in the middle

and if im just going to shoot with friends or something i use this
this bag is not as deep, so thats basically how everything sits inside the bag. i usually wrap it all in a hoody

you can tell how bored i am haha
now ive got something to post in the exploded bags thread tho

I can’t believe you tote all that expensive shit on your brakeless.

lol @ sag bag

who would have though the dude riding around on the hed3c would be such a fucking tool.

There are plenty of hip packs that will fit a slr and lenses once you realize you’re just looking for a fanny pack.

hip packs for cameras are sold at any camera store???