Hip packs / pouches.

http://www.google.com/products?q=lumbar+bag&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=UBE5StOOFYOIswPm6Yz-Bg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

you probably want a lumbar bag.

the chrome hipbone(?) is annoyingly big for a hip pack so it might be something like what youre looking for, but i suggest blicks.

thats exactly how i got the wedding photography gig.

thats exactly how i got the wedding photography gig.

also im totally just gonna pick up some random fannypack next time im at the thrift.

i use large format, so its hard for me to fit my camera in anything other than a huge backpack or pelican case, but with my SLR’s i’d just toss the body in my bag and put a sock around the lens. sometimes i would even wear the camera around my body when riding. that made it much easier.

also, for clarification, 4x5 (what i assume he meant) costs around 5 dollars a sheet including processing. it does take much more time though. on an 8 hour outing on sunday i only made 6 photographs. two of which were copies.

the nature of SLR’s make it difficult to just whip out and shoot when you need it. they do make “sling” bags for such a purpose, but i have never had the need to use one so i cant vouch for their accessibility.

edit

something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/72988-REG/f_64_HCMB_HCM_Holster_Bag_Medium.html

this would look dorky, but seems like it would be perfect for you. it has belt loops and a shoulder strap. then again, photography isnt about looking cool.

i’m going to pic up0 an old 35mm for riding around and shooting. it’ll be smaller and lighter than me SLR and i won’t worry about breaking it.

[quote=GRHebard]when you can take 2500 photos in a shoot in reduces the importance of each shot

and comparing photoshop to a darkroom is like comparing a coloring book to a canvas
photoshop will turn out decent/good/amazing images, and basically its hard not to (like a coloring book).
a darkroom will create an image from what you put into in (like a canvas)

i understand your point, and i can see why you think that. thats reasonable
but this is what i believe, you can think whatever you want about it, it probably will not change, i probably am out of my mind[/quote]

i agree with you for the most part but i dont think its as drastic as you think, photoshop no matter how important or needed it is in everyones digital photography, it by no means makes crappy pictures great. yes a camera can do everything for you as far as exposure, color rendition, white balance, and focus but it does not compose pictures or convey ideas for you. and think some of the worst and best photos where made with hours of deliberation, and vise versa for quick “snapshots” made by a point and shoot with walgreens brand film. photography is not about how YOU take pictures or what equipment you shoot. photography is about how the photographer sees the world and how they want to convey it. hell, is some kid goes out and buys a d3 and doesnt know shit at least he is trying to learn if he is sincere its no different that seeing a Eddie Merckx conversion with risers and dual spokks.

sorry end rant

i shoot digital 80% of the time. But i do not shoot 2500 pics because I have no desire to edit 2500 pics. i like to take my time and wait for the right moment to shoot. Thats just my style, I don’t/can’t afford a studio so I do what I can and my clients are happy. Everyone has different styles. True anyone can buy a DSLR and be a “photographer” but its not all about the camera, you can’t buy talent. I have to remind myself this when I’m around other photographers and I whip out my d50 lol.

I would love to carry my DSLR when riding for those moments when something catches your eye and u want to shoot it. I have carried my camera on occasion but have never been able to whip it out when i’d like, for fear of dropping it. I recently dug out my old Vivatar SLR and rode around shooting. I didn’t mind carrying it around slung over my shoulder because its lighter and less expensive if it falls.

One shoot I had was for a 10k race. I rode my bike so i could move around front to back of the race shooting. i did ride with my DSLR around my neck for that but I wasn’t going as fast and I didn’t have to worry about traffic.

Like I mentioned before the ideal for me would be an old film 35mm that i can have around my neck riding for quick shots. I’ve been carrying my wifes P&S on a couple of rides but i hate tat camera, just not fast enough. Sam’s Club sells a sling style camera bag for a decen’t price, I almost got one but i wanted more room for equipment.

[quote=antcave]i shoot digital 80% of the time. But i do not shoot 2500 pics because I have no desire to edit 2500 pics. i like to take my time and wait for the right moment to shoot. Thats just my style, I don’t/can’t afford a studio so I do what I can and my clients are happy. Everyone has different styles. True anyone can buy a DSLR and be a “photographer” but its not all about the camera, you can’t buy talent. I have to remind myself this when I’m around other photographers and I whip out my d50 lol.

I would love to carry my DSLR when riding for those moments when something catches your eye and u want to shoot it. I have carried my camera on occasion but have never been able to whip it out when i’d like, for fear of dropping it. I recently dug out my old Vivatar SLR and rode around shooting. I didn’t mind carrying it around slung over my shoulder because its lighter and less expensive if it falls.

One shoot I had was for a 10k race. I rode my bike so i could move around front to back of the race shooting. i did ride with my DSLR around my neck for that but I wasn’t going as fast and I didn’t have to worry about traffic.

Like I mentioned before the ideal for me would be an old film 35mm that i can have around my neck riding for quick shots. I’ve been carrying my wifes P&S on a couple of rides but i hate tat camera, just not fast enough. Sam’s Club sells a sling style camera bag for a decen’t price, I almost got one but i wanted more room for equipment.[/quote]
get a rangefinder

[quote=GRHebard]

[/quote]

I love these bags so much! Is it custom?

The bag I posted is supposed to be a hip pack, though my friend usually wears it like a small messenger bag. I want to make a bigger one with a wider strap that you can wear as a lumber pack or a backpack. It would probably be better for carrying around fragile stuff.

btw thanks for the promotion guys, you’re all really sweet!

I don’t know how I’d feel about putting an expensive DSLR on a place that’s very likely to hit the ground if/when you find a patch of sand in a corner.

Beyond that, whatever.

my lecia cl fits in a hip pack perfectly

i use a crumpler one i got for free a few years back

Mountainsmith.

Have one. All that shit will fit.

edit: http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=23&categoryId=4&subCategoryId=3&subCategory2Id=0

Thats the one I’ve got. The shoulder strap is removable if you want. I used it as a medkit when I was working EMS at events. You can fit your house in one.

you’ll look like a tool, but it gets shit done. i use the belt plus some pouches for my SLR+lens+sb800+ttl cable and a handful of film. when i’m on the bike, or not in a hurry i wrap the belt around the pouches and throw them in my reload midpack.

and GRHebard, regarding the digi vs film, sniper vs machine gun bullshit… going out and setting up all your lights doesn’t mean your shots will be great. go and tell garry winogrand that he didn’t appreciate composition or light.

edit: found the pic

i’m a bit primative, but i carry my camera with external flash and battery grip just tossed in my chrome backpack for transportation, then i pretty much leave it slung around me or in my hand. no matter where it is, no matter how accessible, if there’s a chance i might need to shoot something i don’t really feel confident unless it’s like, in my hand. i spent 4 hours in manhattan the other day holding the damn thing, my forearm was swellin by the end of the day

yeah, if i’m just walking around it’s either slung around my neck or i do that strap wrapped around my hand thing.

yeah for strap around the hand

I haven’t used an SLR in so long.
I have a P&S on my belt at all times for quick shots.

[quote=Rusty Piton]I haven’t used an SLR in so long.
I have a P&S on my belt at all times for quick shots.[/quote]

It is nice to have both, but for most circumstances a point and shoot is ideal (and expendable). Doesn’t Crumpler make a line of camera bags?