Hybrid Wheel

o.o

there’s an app for that

wat

1. I like that you can track your exercise performance in an application that is designed to be used with AN ELECTRICALLY POWERED BICYCLE WHEEL!

2. I like that they let you collect “Green Miles” so that all the fuckbags that own this shit (the prius of bikes) can now walk around talking about how much more environmentally friendly they are than everyone else they know.

Did I miss anything?

I was waiting for the green miles to be used on something but I don’t know what

The whole green mile/facebook bullshit and showing a fucking iphone during 50% of the ad make me want to shove a copenhagen wheel up the creator’s ass.

That said, if the actual product works well and puts out good performance w/ a low weight, I’m buying 3. No-frills battery-based assist plus regenerative braking = win.

for that osobike you have laying around…

i bet that rear wheel can’t store shit for energy.

this trek comes with a large battery pack, and even that only lasts 12 miles on the highest setting (which would probably allow you to travel 30-40mph for those 12 miles)

I… I just get… so confused as to why people would buy a bicycle and then make it into some form of a mo-ped? I mean… I understand the go anywhere “ness” of a bicycle over almost any other form of transport. I see that scooters are prolly more money than a gas bike or an electro bike… but wouldn’t the scooter be more reliable?

Like why buy a bike just to gas it?

the kind of people who want this sort of thing want a bike to ride around in some park or maybe don’t have enough energy or physical ability to get where they want to go. older folks, mostly. that’s why all the motorizing kits are shown mounted to hybrids or cruisers and not a proper road bike.

if i ever break down and buy a hybrid i’d probably get one just for hella fredness.

i like the actual act of pedaling my bike?

pollution levels? I never check that shit. Sure, it may be a concern from time to time. But if I need to go somewhere, I’m going to go. Regardless of pollution levels.

[quote=EivlEvo]I… I just get… so confused as to why people would buy a bicycle and then make it into some form of a mo-ped? I mean… I understand the go anywhere “ness” of a bicycle over almost any other form of transport. I see that scooters are prolly more money than a gas bike or an electro bike… but wouldn’t the scooter be more reliable?

Like why buy a bike just to gas it?[/quote]
I’d get one to go to places where I don’t want to arrive drenched in sweat. Use the assist on the way there while hardly pedaling at all and still doing 20mph, switch it off on the way home.

The “I like pedaling my bike” attitude is really narrow-minded. Something like this could make bike commuting feasible for a whole lot of people that wouldn’t really consider using a traditional bike (too long distance, hill, sweating, speed, lazyness, whatever). This isn’t for your epic bike tour.

And you don’t “gas it”. It’s electric. It even has regenerative braking so you’re partly using your own energy. I have yet to see any info on how well regenerative braking works on bikes, but the idea gives me a geek orgasm.

From what I’ve read online about various similar hub motors (i.e. Bionix), depending on how steep and/or how often you have to brake, the regenerative braking can cover maybe 10% of the battery’s capacity. The rest has to come from other sources (i.e. mains, solar, whatever).

I agree. I used to be very purist about this subject, but over time I’ve realized that more bicycles, even electric-assist bikes, is still more bikes. There’s a lady at my work who’s not that old (maybe late 40s, early 50s?), but has some physical issues that keep her from being able to ride a normal bike comfortably (or perhaps at all). That said, she commutes the fuck out of her electric-assist Worksman trike. She gets some exercise from it, it keeps a car off the road, and she feels independent, free and happy, same way I do when I ride my non-assisted bike. Nothing wrong with that atmo.

Or consider something like an Xtracycle with a stereotypical soccer mom who wants to get her two kids to school and activities… the assist is going to make a big difference for her.

Every bike that replaces a car is my friend.

ITT: bikes for lazy fatties

But I agree with this:

[quote=surfimp]

Every bike that replaces a car is my friend.[/quote]

You all make good points. I don’t ride my bike to get rid of a car or to say it’s cheaper or to save the environment or any of that shit. I just ride it because I like it. That said though, who am I to sit here and shoot my mouth off about “how could someone ride this”. You’re all totally right. If it makes you happy do it.

Also, I suppose more of these on the road do get people to (maybe) realize some of the shortcomings this system has towards cyclists.

That sweaty thing tho. I hate that argument… just ride slower. Unless ur a super sweater. Then ride slower and naked.

[quote=EivlEvo]You all make good points. I don’t ride my bike to get rid of a car or to say it’s cheaper or to save the environment or any of that shit. I just ride it because I like it. That said though, who am I to sit here and shoot my mouth off about “how could someone ride this”. You’re all totally right. If it makes you happy do it.

Also, I suppose more of these on the road do get people to (maybe) realize some of the shortcomings this system has towards cyclists.

That sweaty thing tho. I hate that argument… just ride slower. Unless ur a super sweater. Then ride slower and naked.[/quote]

if you wear a backpack or messenger back, youre going to sweat even if you go slow.

when i started riding bikes, i couldn’t even ride from my house to downtown (it was like 7 miles) without stopping. i had no endurance. luckily we have trains, so i took the train. for a lot of people there isn’t another option though, so they drive. i think this kind of thing could get a lot of people commutting who live far enough that its not an easy alternative to start at. t would help them work their way up to however long their commute is.

I am into nything that makes riding a bike more appealing. Like yoou guys discussed in the other thread, lots of people think cyclists are kind of crazy to ride everywhere on the road. Most of the time I tell people I rode to work, their reaction is “oh my god that’s so far”… it sounds totally unobtainable to them. A mix of pedalling and electricity would help them get where they are going and still exercise and maybe eventually they’d switch to a regular wheel and start riding even more.

[quote=EivlEvo]
That sweaty thing tho. I hate that argument… just ride slower. Unless ur a super sweater. Then ride slower and naked.[/quote]
Can’t ride slowly, I tried. Not wired for it
Slower and naked… will test the idea in the spring.

[quote=lofarkas][quote=EivlEvo]
Can’t ride slowly, I tried. Not wired for it
Slower and naked… will test the idea in the spring.[/quote]

This.

Also, the rent-a-bike places near the Golden Gate bridge have started offering electric assist bikes. There’s a couple of “big” (about 300ft of elevation gain) hills that one has to get over to cross the bridge. The electric assist makes this possible for a lot more people.

ITT: I will say… One must learn to ride their bicycle slow, before they will truly understand how to ride their bicycle fast.

Also the mess bag… good point.

That’s so zen. Or something.