I can't secure a lockring ( and neither can my LBS)

Okay, so I just got my sepcialized Langster from a local shop and I think they have never really delt with a lockring. I think they sell all their langsters SS, and they don’t really deal with track bikes because it seems to be a shop geared towards triathlons. Little sidenote, it’s great to have your first brakeless ride with a lockring that comes undone =/

So anyway, I’m curious if there is some trick to what you have to do. I’ve about 4 times back to the shop to have them “fix” the wheel but to no avail. The lockring comes undone after about a block of riding.

What they do (and what I told them was the best idea) was to tighten the shit out of the cog and then tighten the shit out of the lockring. This seems like the logical answer but I was wondering if there was some trick like tightening the crap out of the lockring and then loosening the cog against the lockring so they mash into each other right, but then you’d think that the lockring would come loose from going foward?

Obviously I’m confused. If anyone can school me, I’d be very appreciative, and I’m sorry for not putting this in the fix it post, but I kind of wanted everyone to realize that a lot of specialized stores don’t know dick about fixed gear and can be very dangerous (another shop I test rode a langster at had a lockring come loose).

This post is already longer than intended.

As far as i know there is no trick to it, but what a lot of people seem to do is tighten the cog, tighten the lockring, then go mash up and hill and then tighten the lockring down again before you resist the pedals or anything and that’s pretty much as tight as you need it.

wha?

put the cog on, tighten the lockring down behind it. push on the pedals, mash up a hill, whatever, the cog should be all the way threaded on. then tighten down the lockring again.

easy way to tell if there is play is to try and skid, if you have any play between the two it’ll feel like your pedals are slipping.

finally, your LBS must be staffed with morons because fixed is about as simple as it gets.

[quote=“toddistic”]wha?

put the cog on, tighten the lockring down behind it. push on the pedals, mash up a hill, whatever, the cog should be all the way threaded on. then tighten down the lockring again.

easy way to tell if there is play is to try and skid, if you have any play between the two it’ll feel like your pedals are slipping.

finally, your LBS must be staffed with morons because fixed is about as simple as it gets.[/quote]

+1
if this dosen’t work then there’s probably something wrong with your hub or your lockring,
check your threads

Fuck a langster!
And fuck you!
Welcome to Tarckbike.com!

Fuck duckwars dude, I bet he doesn’t even own a top tube pad… pffft…

I bet he also uses foot retention. LAME.

do the hill trick to tighten the cog, then add a drop or two of blue loctite to the lockring before tightening it all the way. done.

grease your lockring and cog or kiss your hub good bye if you ever want to change cog sizes…

wrong
that’s overkill, if his locking won’t stay on there’s something wrong

ding ding ding that is correct, you win the prize behind door #2

It has been my experience that if the cog slips it is probably from using a cheap and slightly to thin cog! If the cog is to thin the lock ring wont contact it when tightened, and that leaves room for slipage.

It would be a pretty stupid crew at a bikeshop that couldnt just tighten the lockring, and even though the install/mash up hill/ re-tighten trick works, it shouldn’t be necessary.

Try a better cog or a spacer shim, any shop should have it.

The stock langster cog should be fine, although I did have this same problem when I first got mine. Cog slipped and my noob ass took it to my non-idotic LBS. They took me in back, showed me how to fix it and didn’t charge me. (they wound selling me a chainwhip and lockring spanner in the deal).
Grease them bitches, tighten the cog on the normal way (to the right) and the lockring on the not normal way (to the left) and crank both them shitz till you can’t crank any more and it should be fine.
AND RUN A FUCKING BRAKE, DUMBASS!!!

Are you putting the cog on the freewheel side, with a BB lockring? Because that could cause the problem.

Look here SuperVillian, we don’t need you comin’ over here and fucking up our threads by being helpful.

LOL

Demand a lockring tool from a lbs or punch them all in the dick.

Demand it and then when they hand it over punch them in the dick for good measure.

for the sake of everyone in your area please put this LBS on the shitlist. it’s the stickied thread on the top of the discussions.

Hit em in the dick with the pointy part of the lockring tool!

Whip em in the sack with the chainwhip!