i have ambition

Sounds like a fun trip Toast. Glad you made it safely those last 30 miles, must’ve been a little hairy. I hate riding outside the city at night.

awesome. :bear:

There are three on the Willamette actually. I’m guessing you took the Canby Ferry by your route above. There is another, Wheatland, on the west side of I-5 north of Salem and one south of Salem, the Buena Vista.

Sick trip, Toast. Thanks for the recap. I am super jealous.

return trip-

i wasn’t gonna be having another 11pm arrival, so i set my alarm for 4:45 and figured i could get in thirty or so before sunrise. the problem? well, i set my alarm for pm. whoops. luckily i woke up on my own accord only an hour late, scarfed down some granola/banana/juice, and headed out the door. from the trip down, i learned to stop every 10 or 12 miles for a brief rest and snack, rather than try to go 20 or 30 straight then get unnecessarily hungry and thirsty and tired. i got to brownsville in just about 2hrs 20mins, so i figured i would be on a good pace to arrive within daylight, or at least to be within portland city limits with familiar well-lit streets by sunset.

i got fancy and took a few slightly different roads back… including an unnecessarily hilly road. i suppose if something is called “ridge road” (sand ridge road, to be exact), that might indicate that it takes you up and down a little bit. i also took one flat-out wrong turn, but wound up riding parallel to my planned route, off by only a few hundred yards, for like 15 miles straight.

the worst part was def. that the canby ferry was closed for MLK day. so i took 99E… which was good for the first few miles i was on it, then it dropped down to the side of the river, and i was given like 18 inches of shoulder while logging trucks whizzed by at 55mph. i was somewhat fine to do that downhill, since i was mostly visible in a white jacket with a bright blinky and reflective crap on my bag, and going 25mph myself would give drivers a little extra reaction time. in the flats or climbs, though, i unclipped and walked through mud/dirt/ditch/crap. ah well. kept me alive and with an intact bike, so it was probably a good decision. after that it was all familiar turf, kinda during rush hour around 5, 5:30, but not too bad. i got home and ate about three pounds of spaghetti, drank a bunch of water, and watched a little pro wrestling. and got on tarck.

random notes-

about 2/3rd of the way coming home, i passed a roadie group standing on the opposite side of the road. i let out a weary “hi!” as i was climbing and overheard “a (partyfoul)! how neat!” before i crested and dipped down out of their sight. aside from plenty of college kids in eugene, a few beat-up mtbs in random small towns, and one LOOK maybe a mile from my home, that was the only contact i had with other bikes all weekend. i immediately wished i had turned in to say hi to them, but i guess it wasn’t strong enough regret to make me want to turn around and go back uphill.

i don’t want to see another clif bar for a while. ha, i also had 8 mini butterfinger bars on the way down and 3 or 4 more on the way back up, though

i got free soup at a supermarket deli in silverton on the way down. tortellini alfredo probably wasn’t the best choice of flavor, though. and by free i mean i simply left without paying. maybe a mile after that, though, i turned into a goodwill to get a scarf. so i put $3 into their economy anyway.

i think my bike is too big. i don’t feel comfortable on the actual hoods, except for climbs and sometimes descents, so most of the time my hands are on the bends/elbows. this is with an 80mm stem, too.

my rolls saddle held up much better than the arione i had used for my last long fixed ride. comfy on my junk, word.

i had to walk twice each way- on the way down, about 20 miles in for some nasty climb that i wasn’t trying to attack with 110 more ahead of me, then on one stretch of pitch-black road south of brownsville. on the way back… one absurd four-block hill just north of scio that caught me completely off-guard, then on 99E in order to not get ran over.
this was fun but would be even more amazing with warmer, longer days and panniers. and i think that is all.

Props