I need a new BB, what crank puller is really great?

So after a decently long ride this weekend, I noticed that there was a bunch of oil oozing out of my BB/BB shell. I figured it was the BB so I had the LBS take a look. They said that the BB is toast, and needs to be replaced. I’m not planning on letting them do it, because I have the ability to do it myself, only thing is that I need to get a crank puller.

I don’t know if this is a noob question or not, but do you guys have any suggestions on a crank puller that will work with Sugino RD’s?

I have this one. It was pretty cheap and works well.

+1

syncros crank-o-matic bolts?

I’ve stripped two of these. Not the main section but that inner plug that actually presses against the bb.

I still use them because they’re the only crank pullers I can find locally

Same one I have. Works pretty great for me.

I have those and two pairs of RDs.
The puller works fine.

I use a Wrench Force that looks like this:

http://www.bikeman.com/TL0500.html

but it was only like $4. I got it from the same site, but they don’t have it anymore, it seems. Works great though, I’ve used it countless times on all sorts of square-taper cranks.

Thanks a ton guys. I’m also kinda curious about buying the same BB. Its the matching Sugino BB that goes with the RD’s. I installed it about four months ago and havent really been riding too insanely…Probably around 10 miles daily, and some longer group rides. Would this be normal? Do you think it would be covered by some sort of warranty?

I would expect one to last about 5K+ miles in a moderate climate

A borrowed one.

I’ve owned and used the same one for 15 years now.

Chris

The Sopo Bike Co Op in Atlanta was formed solely on the premise that not everyone in town who works on their bike should have to own their own crank puller. True story.

[quote=“Straws”]I’ve stripped two of these. Not the main section but that inner plug that actually presses against the bb.

I still use them because they’re the only crank pullers I can find locally[/quote]

How did this happen?

no warranty, wear and tear.
your chain tension is probably too tight leading to the premature wear.
furthermore, dont take the bike shops word that it is worn out. is there play in it, or is it just weeping grease? if there is no side-to-side play and spins fine, it is fine.

no warranty, wear and tear.
your chain tension is probably too tight leading to the premature wear.
furthermore, dont take the bike shops word that it is worn out. is there play in it, or is it just weeping grease? if there is no side-to-side play and spins fine, it is fine.[/quote]

i’m not 100% sure about play in it, but i did notice some grinding yesterday. i’m gonna ride on it until i can afford to replace it, which should be in about a week. thanks for the advice.

[quote=“xylophonecks”][quote=“Straws”]I’ve stripped two of these. Not the main section but that inner plug that actually presses against the bb.

I still use them because they’re the only crank pullers I can find locally[/quote]

How did this happen?[/quote]

Yeah, how did this happen? I hate to say it, but if it happened to you twice and everyone else (including me) thinks this is a good tool, it may be the user and not the tool.

[size=150]If anyone happens to read this.[/size] This isnt worthy of a new topic.

Im having trouble removing the bolts on the dura ace road cranks that came on my frame.

Do they loosen the same direction as normal bolts? I have the correct size allan wrench, its a bit hard to get good grip but the bolts dont seem to budge no matter how hard i turn. i dont wanna fuck them up by turning hard but it seems like they should of come undone with how hard ive been turning.

Ive never loosed allan bolt cranks before… i dont wanna fuck anything up, is there a certain tool?

^You’re doing it right. Try harder

Okay, thanks.

EDIT: It worked, i used the “put the cranks level to the floor step on allan wrench method.”

Do i need a special crank puller to get them off?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA280_.jpg

They dont seem like they’d work with the crank pullers ive used before since there is no bolt off the bb to press outward against.

Ive never dealt with this type of hardware…