I need some TIPS for SKIDS!

Okay guys, this is going to sound retarded. I’m pretty new to my fixed gear, and I have tried super hard to skid stop, but it’s impossible! I put my whole weight into it and I am doing the pull and push technique… i have no clue! The pedals just keep moving! I tried to pull all my weight to the front, but it doesn’t seem to work…

What can I do to stop?!
:bear:

lean forwards, get your weight off the seat.

I found this was helpful too: http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#skip

COMMIT TO THE SKID!!!
don’t be afraid.
if it feels like the pedals are moving your legs forward, just push back harder.

Try to learn on grass or a sandy parking lot. Somewhere with less resistance till you figure out what it takes to do them. Wet lot maybe.

Hey guys. Thanks! I’ll give it a try again tomorrow. Well nevertheless, I’ll get a front brake on. It’s pretty hard idk. Maybe I’m just not strong enough, or just not committed to it yet. Anymore tips?

nuts on stem. it’s going to hurt.

Skidz will be more apparent with white undies.

i didnt need to put my nuts anywhere near the stem when i learned to skid. find grass or something and just practice, once it comes to you itll be no prob.

i was putting my pubic bone on the stem , but i got bruised pretty fucking bad, so now i just kinda sit on the top tube near the stem. not only does it not hurt, but now i’m skidding better.
it looks like giant lines of orange hi-liter up and down my street.
i’ve really gotta stop this.

Try to support your body solely on your arms when learning… like leaning over a railing… dont use your legs for anything other than locking the crank… as to put all of your weight over the bars. What gearing are you running?

+1

alot of people say they pull up with their other foot, but i don’t do that.
my mind doesn’t compute “lean over bars, put nuts on stem, get legs/cranks in right position, push down with right, pull up with left…etc…”
that’s too much shit for my feeble mind to process and execute in 2 seconds.
that being said, i just sit on the top tube, lean over the bars and push down really hard with my right foot when its at like 9 oclock.

like my wife always says about me: i’m probably doing it wrong, it’s definitely not pretty, but it gets the job done.

i dunno. :colbert:

Put butter all over your back wheel, it will help out.

I will try to butter thing thanks! haha just for the gear ratio, 46 to 16. Is that too high for a noob?

i learned on 48x15 and i’m a fat kid who doesn’t do anything but read forums, and thinks he rides a hip bicycle

Please don’t actually put butter on your bike. :colbert:

46x16 is probably the “standard”. Most people run between 72 and 75 gear inches. So your gearing shouldn’t be a problem.

Before I learned how to skid I learned how to skip stop, and that made things much easier when I decided I wanted to attempt some long-ish skids.

Please don’t actually put butter on your bike. :colbert:[/quote]

Haha i was just kidding.

Yeah I think this weekend I’ll find a good patch of grass and learn to skid. I kinda did a little one but was about to fall off my bike.

More tipz would be awesome!
:bear:

you don’t actually put your nuts on the stem guys. just figuratively. support yourself with your arms leaning all the way forward and lock your trailing leg. you’ll skid. the key isn’t the legs with a long skid (like when you’re learning); it’s about getting as much weight off the rear wheel as possible while staying stable.

44x16?!? i learned on stock 48x15 and i’m 200 pounds and very unfit.

your leading foot is easier. if you were to skateboard, the foot that would be towards the nose is essentially your forward foot, or tends to be. when skidding, wait till you get that forward foot up and pull up on it while pushing back with the rear foot. lean forward a bit.

oh and commit.

[quote=“Tbirdbassist”]46x16 is probably the “standard”. Most people run between 72 and 75 gear inches. So your gearing shouldn’t be a problem.

Before I learned how to skid I learned how to skip stop, and that made things much easier when I decided I wanted to attempt some long-ish skidz.[/quote]

the opposite for me
skip stops took me a bit to figure out
now im pretty much pro at them